Entrepreneurship Week 2019 is Nearly Here!
Published On Fri 22 Feb 2019 by Katherine G. Southern
It’s taken a lot of work, but Entrepreneurship Week 2019 is almost here! Entrepreneurship Week is an annual, week-long event feature workshops, lectures, and discussions about all aspects of the entrepreneurial journey. The week starts this Monday, February 25th, and runs until Friday, March 1st. All of the events during the week are free for staff, students, and the general public to attend. Keep in mind, however, that there is limited availability of tickets for each workshop/lecture, so if you’re interested in any of the lectures make sure to book your tickets ASAP! All events can here, on our Eventbrite page.
Here’s a brief breakdown of all the events happening that week:
Monday, February 25th
- RSE Fellowship Workshop:
- The Royal Society of Edinburgh Enterprise Fellowship is a premier business development and training programme for the Higher Education sector. Come along to this workshop to learn more about the Fellowship and to receive application advice!
- Interactive Sales Workshop with Sandy McCurdy:
- In this workshop, Sandy McCurdy will discuss how selling is ultimately more about persistence than it is about natural talent. He’ll also provide excellent guidance for people who are looking to improve their persuasive skills.
Tuesday, February 26
- Mountain Bike Innovation Centre Drop-In Session
- Have you got an idea for an innovative cycling project? Then come to this event to discuss your idea with the Mountain Bike Centre of Scotland, and receive guidance on how best to take your idea forward.
- Understanding Social Enterprise Workshop
- At this workshop, the Dundee Social Enterprise Network will provide an understanding of what a social enterprise is, how to start and run one, and what support is available to you to get one off the ground.
- Pitching Masterclass with Scottish EDGE and Elevator
- Scottish EDGE is a funding competition aimed at supporting Scotland’s up-and-coming, high-growth potential entrepreneurial talent. At this workshop, experts from Scottish Edge will teach you how to deliver a pitch for your business.
Wednesday, February 27
- The Circle Breakfast Networking Event
- This is an interactive workshop with Kirsty Thompson, the CEO of ‘The Circle’, a hub for charities, social enterprises, community groups and socially aware businesses in Dundee. She’ll discuss things to consider when running a charity, social enterprise, community group, or socially-aware business.
- Entrepreneurial Masterclass with Andy Campbell
- Over the last 20 years, Andy has amassed a wealth of experience in business start-ups. At this lecture, Andy will offer insights into his career journey as an entrepreneur, and will be followed by a Q&A Session.
- Annual Public Lecture in Entrepreneurship with Mike Soutar
- Mike Soutar, who has interrogated potential employees and business partners on The BBC’s The Apprentice for the past eight years, will return to his home city to address students, staff and the wider public as part of the University’s Entrepreneurship Week.
Thursday, February 28
- Enterprise Educators Seminar
- This Enterprise Exchange event will explore how University enterprise and entrepreneurship educators can work together more effectively to develop enterprise skills in students and graduates from all disciplines.
- Entrepreneurial Masterclass with Crispin Reed
- This Masterclass will be given by Crispin Reed, who graduated from the University of Dundee in 1984, and has decades of experience in the advertising and marketing industries. In his talk, Crispin will draw on his experience from being ‘in the trenches’ with entrepreneurs and the lessons he has learned from starting companies from a blank piece of paper.
- Converge Challenge Application Workshop
- Converge Challenge is the leading Scottish company creation competition for staff, students, and recent graduates of Scottish Universities. It is aimed at creating a new generation of entrepreneurs in Scotland through a £200k+ prize fund. This workshop is for anyone who is considering applying to Converge Challenge and would like to find out more about the competition.
- Scottish Enterprise Intellectual Property Workshop
- Open to current businesses, this workshop will cover topics such as how to identify and document your assets, as well as how to identify IP within your own company.
- Women in Business Networking Event
- In this event, brought to you by Business Gateway, marketing expert Clare Marshall will cover the important points to remember when building a marketing strategy, so that companies can consistently build their brands and avoid costly distractions.
Friday, March 1
- Venture 2019: Public Pitching Final and Business Support Exhibition
- The Venture 2019 Competition is the climax of Entrepreneurship Week. Come along to the competition to hear from high-profile entrepreneurs, network with our 16+ business exhibitors, and watch competitors pitch live on stage for their chance to win a share of the 27,500 prize fund. The event will conclude with a drinks reception.