- Twentieth and twenty-first century landscape poetry
- formally innovative poetry
- Romantic poetry
- intermediality and visual culture
- word and image studies
- ecocriticism and environmental art
- phenomenology and theories of perception
- mimesis and theories of representation.
Supervisors: Andrew Roberts, Professor of Modern Literature & Murdo MacDonald, Professor in the History of Scottish Art
Previous Research Projects:
- Reading Frankenstein as a critique of gendered educational practices in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries
Scholarships / Awards / Publications:
- Carnegie-Cameron Postgraduate Bursary
- AHRC PhD Studentship
‘The “specific evidentness” of contemporary radical landscape poetry: innovative form and spatial presence in The Ground Aslant’, English 65.251 (2016), 363-386.
‘Walking Women: Embodied Perception in Romantic and Contemporary Radical Landscape Poetry’,The Journal of British and Irish Innovative Poetry (forthcoming).
‘Affinities with innovative and visual poetry in the work of Geoffrey Hill’, for publication in a volume on the poetics of Geoffrey Hill, edited by Andrew Michael Roberts, Shearsman (forthcoming).
‘Walking and Visual Perception in Romantic and Modernist Literature’, co-written with Andrew Michael Roberts, for publication in The History of Distributed Cognition, Edinburgh University Press (currently under peer review).
Green Letters: Studies in Ecocriticism, special issue on ‘Traversing the Field’ conference proceedings, co-edited with Alice Tarbuck (forthcoming).
Traversing the Field: An Interdisciplinary Conference on Walking and Thinking in Scottish Landscapes, University of Dundee, 30 April 2016. Funding secured from the Centre for Scotland’s Land Futures, the Centre for Scottish Culture and the Centre for Poetic Innovation.
‘What is a civilised nation?’: How Arts and Humanities research informs debate
Scotland’s Futures Forum, Scottish Parliament, Jan – Jun 2017
- 2014 - present PhD English
- 2011-2012 MSc by Research English Literature: Romanticism - University of Edinburgh
- 2006-2010 MA (Hons) English Literature - University of Edinburgh