Our students are highly proactive and fully creatively engaged in the publishing and cultural world after they receive their degree.
Another sample of the kinds of successes and positions our students achieve...
- prizes and commendations in the John Clare, Wigtown, William Soutar, Gladstone Library, and Scottish Art Club Short Story and Poetry Competitions
- readings at the Edinburgh International Book Festival
- publication in a range of magazines, including Dundee Writes, Gutter, New Writing Scotland, Poetry Review and Obsessed with Pipework
- Writer-in-Residence at Dundee Contemporary Arts
- Reader-in-Residence at Dundee Libraries
- Journalist at DC Thomson
- Stephen Fry Award for Public Engagement with Research
"The course has provided me many networking opportunities, allowing me to establish working relationships with artists, philosophers, and even scientists and mathematicians, as well as other writers. Performance nights such as Speakerbox and Hotchpotch, publications such as New Writing Dundee and Dundee Writes offer valuable chances to air my pieces, an internship with Freight Books and my appointment as editor of DURA, the university's arts review magazine, have been crucial in gaining experience for future employment."
Adam Learmonth, MLitt in Writing Practice and Study 2015
"The modules are taught by published writers who understand the industry and there are many opportunities to perform your work in public."
Gavin Cameron, MLitt Writing Practice and Study 2015
"The only reason my writing has got better is because of the course and the wonderful insight and guidance of Kirsty, Eddie, Cynthia and Jennie who all, in so many different ways, nurtured a new appreciation of the written word and of how to really think about what you are trying to transmit through writing.
As you know, I found the course thrilling and inspiring and I will really miss it, my weekdays in Dundee, and all of you."
Clare Hunter, MLitt Writing Practice and Study, 2014
Download and read some of our students' work here:
You can also get an insight into what it is like to study creative writing here from our student blog.