Call for Papers: 'Excavating Time'
Uncovering and Recovering the Past in Word and Image
19th Annual Scottish Word and Image Group Conference
Friday 6th – Sunday 8th July 2012
University of Dundee
Excavating Time will consider the processes by which the past might be accessed, preserved, represented, interpreted or ‘fabricated’ through distinctive interactions between visual and verbal media.
Suggested topics might include (but are not limited to):
- Museums and Material Culture(s);
- ‘Speaking’ Objects and Decoded Voices;
- Eye-Witnessing, Memory and (Organised?) Forgetting;
- Nostalgia, Trauma and Anachronism;
- Historicisms (New, Old, or Post-);
- Archaeologies of Knowledge;
- the Past as Ruin, Trace, Palimpsest or Contested Space;
- the Past as Reality, Restoration or ‘Simulacrum’;
- Narrating the Past; Histories of Time;
- Futures Past;
- Virtual Time Travel;
- Pre-human Pasts – Geological, Fossil and Genetic Records;
- His-(and Her)Story – Engendering or Embodying the Past; etc.
Abstracts for papers should be a maximum of 300 words; those for panels, a maximum of 1,000. Following the success of last year’s Pre-Raphaelite conference, 2012 may also feature further panels on Pre-Raphaelite Medievalism and Historicity.
The closing date for proposals is Monday 16th April 2012.
SWIG Website: www.scottishwordimage.org
Posted: 12 April 2012