Dundee's Cultural Scene
When you join the English community at Dundee, you'll find a wealth of opportunities both here on campus and in the city. Whether you're into theatre, creative writing, or simply want to get together with people sharing similar interests, there's always something going on.
- The JOOT Theatre Company - JOOT specialises in Medieval and Early Modern theatre. The company is largely comprised of current English students and has performed locally, nationally and in Paris.
- Dundee Rep Theatre - a world class performing arts organisation with Scotland's only full-time resident company of actors and contemporary dancers. The Rep collaborates in the delivery of the MLitt in Theatre Studies, and is conveniently situated right next door to the University's main campus.
Cinema and arts
- Dundee Contemporary Arts Centre - we have strong links with Dundee Contemporary Arts (DCA), Dundee's unique cinema and art gallery. The DCA puts on film programmes which bring together students and the general community.
- Literary Dundee - provides (and supports) book events, booky people and all book related fun in Dundee. There are regular literary salons, special readings by visiting writers and publishers, and an annual literary festival.
Creative Writing Magazines
For more information on our Creative Writing community please see our Creative Writing pages.
- Dundee Writes - a magazine of creative writing by students, staff and recent graduates of the University, produced and edited by postgraduates on the MLitt course in Creative Writing Practice and Study.
- New Writing Dundee - began as a student magazine at the University and has now developed into an international anthology of literary fiction. It publishes the work of new and established local authors and also showcases the talent of burgeoning authors from around the world. New Writing Dundee is still edited and produced by students here.
- Anthology (site presently down for maintenance) - showcases the work of students enrolled on Comics Studies modules at the University. Much of this work has emerged from our MLitt in Comics and Graphic Novels.
Arts Review Magazine
- Dundee University Review of the Arts (DURA): a review of fiction, poetry, film, theatre and other associated arts produced and edited by students and staff at the University
There are more than 40 student societies affiliated to the Students' Association (DUSA). Some that may be of interest to students in English, Film Studies, Creative Writing and Theatre Studies include:
The full list of DUSA affiliated student societies is available on the DUSA website.