OtherResearch group: Concrete and Construction
Rod Jones graduated from the Department of Civil Engineering at Portsmouth Polytechnic in 1982. Following work in industry as a graduate engineer, he undertook a PhD in Civil Engineering at Dundee University. This research concerned the use of pulverized fuel ash in concrete. He graduated in 1986 and was awarded the Fulton Postgraduate Prize. He subsequently joined the academic staff of the Division and became the Associate Director of the Concrete Technology Unit in 2002.
- PhD Civil Engineering, University of Dundee, 1986
- Portland and non-Portland cement
- Carbonation and reinforcement corrosion in concrete
- Sustainable concrete construction
- Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- Cement-based restorative materials
- Applications of carbon nanotube reinforcement
- Jones, M R and Zheng, L (2013), 'Energy absorption of foamed concrete from low-velocity impacts' Magazine of Concrete Research, 65, no. 4, pp. 209-219.
- Kandasami, S, Harrison, T A, Jones, M R and Khanna, G (2012), 'Benchmarking UK concretes using an accelerated carbonation test' Magazine of Concrete Research, 64, no. 8, pp. 697-706.
- Harrison, T A, Jones, M R, Newlands, M D, Kandasami, S & Khanna, G (2012), 'Experience of using the prTS 12390-12 accelerated carbonation test to assess the relative performance of concrete' Magazine of Concrete Research, 64, no. 8, pp. 737-747.
- Harrison, TA, Jones, R, Kandasami, S & Khanna, G (2012), 'Effectiveness of the traditional parameters for specifying carbonation resistance' Magazine of Concrete Research, 64, no. 6, pp. 487-497.
- M. J. McCarthy, G. M. Sadiqul Islam, L. J. Csetenyi and M. R. Jones. Colorimetric evaluation of admixture adsorption by fly ash for use in air-entrained concrete. Materials and Structures
- M. J. McCarthy, G. M. Sadiqul Islam, L. J. Csetenyi and M. R. Jones. (2012) Refining the foam index test for use with air-entrained fly ash concrete. Magazine of Concrete Research, 64, No 1, pp1–12
- Halliday, J E, Jones, M R, Dyer T D and Dhir R K. (2012) Reuse of Sewage Sludge Ash in Concrete. Proceedings of the ICE - Waste and Resource Management, 165, Issue WR2 pp 57-66
- Jones, M.R, Zheng, L., Yerramala, A and Rao, K. S. (2012) Use of Recycled and Secondary Aggregates in Foamed Concretes. Magazine of Concrete Research. 64, No 6. pp 513-525.
- Jones, M R, McCarthy M J and Newlands, M D. (2010) Green concrete: embracing change. Concrete. 44, No 6 July. pp 50-52.