Dr. O'Neill is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Dundee whose expertise lies within Interaction Design (IxD), Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and Creativity Support Tools (CST). He has worked on research projects that explore user sense-making processes and creative activities (BENOGO, EU Presence Initiative, IST-2001-39184; Leonardo: Culture Creativity and Interaction Design, EPSRC GR/T21042/01; ‘Making Sense of Creative Interactions’, EPSRC F053029/1 and the Arts API Project, Nesta). He is the author of “Interactive Media: The Semiotics of Embodied Interaction” (Springer, 2008) and his current research focuses on developing a better understanding of the impact of digital technologies in various settings from the art/design studio to social innovation contexts and cycling.
- Co investigator: The Arts API Project: Digital R&D ‘Big Data’ Call (Nesta, Arts Council, AHRC) August 2014 - August 2015. £299,341 fec. (£87,523,value to UoD; £51,082 overhead). Partners include Future Everything and Swirrl.
- Primary Investigator: EP/F053029/1: Making Sense of Creative Interactions. EPSRC, Start Date 1st October 2008, End Date 30th September 2011. £173,266 fec successfully funded, Primary Investigator.
- O'Neill, Shaleph (Lead / Corresponding author) / Stripe painting : A method of expressing the experience of cycling through 'quantified self' data visualisation. UbiComp 2016 Adjunct - Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing. Association for Computing Machinery, 2016. p. 600-601.
- O'Neill, Shaleph (Lead / Corresponding author); Benyon, David (Lead / Corresponding author) / Extending the semiotics of embodied interaction to blended spaces. In: Human Technology, Vol. 11, No. 1, 05.2015, p. 30-56.
- Smyth, Michael; Benyon, David (Lead / Corresponding author); McCall, Rod (Lead / Corresponding author); O'Neill, Shaleph; Carroll, Fiona / Patterns of place : an integrated approach for the design and evaluation of real and virtual environments. Immersed in media: telepresence theory, measurement & technology. ed. / Matthew Lombard; Frank Biocca; Jonathan Freeman; Wijnand IJsselsteijn; Rachel J. Schaevitz. Springer , 2015. p. 237-260.
- Norton, Dan (Lead / Corresponding author); Woods, Mel; O'Neill, Shaleph / Mixing the library - Information interaction and the disc jockey. In: International Journal of Arts and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 4, 01.01.2014, p. 391-396.
- O'Neill, Shaleph / Re: Thinking and Designing a Digital Sketchbook. In: Digital Creativity, Vol. n/a, n/a, 2013, p. 1-19.
- O'Neill, Shaleph / The Interactive Spectacle and the Digital Situationist. Exploration of Space, Technology and Spatiality: Interdisciplinary Perspectives. ed. / P. Turner; S. Turner; E. Davenport. Hershey : Information Science Reference, 2009. p. 155-166.