Dr Drew Hemment is a Dundee Fellow and Reader in DJCAD at the University of Dundee. He is Coordinator of the GROW Observatory, funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme, and is Founder and Creative Director of FutureEverything, an international innovation lab and festival, established 1995.
His research explores various dimensions of the emerging digital culture, from data art to open science, and also innovation, creativity and research methods. He develops highly collaborative and interdisciplinary forms for research, in which building communities of interest is integral.
In this outward-facing role, he founded the GROW Observatory, a citizens' observatory to sustain soils and groundtruth satellites, and FutureEverything, a highly effective, research-led interface between higher education and the creative and digital economy.
Hemment was commissioned in 2015 by the Singapore Government to curate and present the flagship digital culture component of SG50, the 50th anniversary of the founding of Singapore. He has introduced art and design into the flagship IoT and Smart Cities programmes of the UK (CityVerve) and EU (IoT Large Scale Pilots, CREATE IoT).
Editorial Board member for Leonardo journal of art, science and technology, and Co-leader of the Citizens' Observatories Community Activity of the intergovernmental Group on Earth Observations (GEO) which is leading a worldwide effort to build a Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS).
Hemment's research on and of the digital age has been recognised in awards from the cultural, business and technology fields, and in academic and industry appointments. He was a leadership role-model on a pilot leadership programme for the AHRC, and his research has resulted in new policy and infrastructure, such as DataGM (Greater Manchester Datastore). In 1999, he was awarded a PhD at Lancaster University, in 2009 elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts.
- The GROW Observatory. H2020-SC5-17-2015: Demonstrating the concept of 'Citizen Observatories'. PI. 2015. €5.1M. (With CI Dundee: Mel Woods/Nick Taylor/John Rowan/Andy Cobley University of Dundee, United Nations, Met Office, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, HydroLogic Research, Starlab, FutureEverything, Parrott, The James Hutton Institute, Vienna University of Technology – TU Wien, Thingful, Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia, European Network for Community-Led Action on Climate Change & Sustainability (ECOLISE), Cultivate, CulturePolis, Storythings, University of Miskolc, The Forest Trust
- Making Sense. H2020-ICT 10-2014: Collective Awareness Platforms for Sustainability and Social Innovation. CI. 2015. €2M.
- (With CI Dundee: Mel Woods/Ioan Fazey. PI Stichting Waag Society (WAAG), Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC), Joint Research Center)
- Project Ukko prototype climate service. Project Director. 2015-16. A part of EUPORIAS. EU 7th Framework Programme (GA 308291). CI. 2012-2017. €14M.
- Design with Data for Tomorrow's Urban Living. CASE EPSRC DTA PhD Studentship. PI. 2015.
- Future Cities – What will be done? Why do it now?. SICSA Research Challenge (Future Cities). CI with Matthew Chalmers (PI/Computing Science, U. Glasgow), Brian Evans (Mackintosh School of Architecture, Glasgow School of Art). 2015. £6,000
- The Arts API. Nesta, AHRC, Arts Council England (Digital R&D Fund). Project Director. 2014. £299,341.
- The Creative Exchange Knowledge Exchange Hub in the Creative Economy. AHRC. Co-I and Deputy Director. 2011-16. £4M.
- Woods, M., Hemment, D., Bui, L (2016) Community Level Indicators. ICT2015 Making Sense. European Commission. (Report)
- Hemment, D., Stefaner, M., Makri, S., Buontempo, C., Christel, I., Torralba-Fernandez, V, Gonzalez-Reviriego, N., Doblas-Reyes, F., Dykes, J (2016) ‘Project Ukko: Visualising future weather conditions for decision making.’ Information+. Vancouver. (Peer Reviewed Conference)
- Hemment, D., Stefaner, M., Makri, S., Buontempo, C., Christel, I., Torralba-Fernandez, V, Gonzalez-Reviriego, N., Doblas-Reyes, F., de Matos, P. Dykes, J (2016) ‘Project Ukko – Design of a climate service visualisation interface for seasonal wind forecasts.’ European Geosciences Union General Assembly. (Peer Reviewed Conference and Exhibition)
- Hemment, D (2015) FutureEverything Singapore. SG50 Singapore 50th Anniversary Celebration. Singapore Government, Smart Nation Office, Infocomm Development Agency of Singapore. (International Festival, with associated Exhibition, Conference, Laboratory. Role: Project Director)
- Hemment, D (2014) Smart Citizen Manchester. Intel and FutureEverything. (Community Data Platform. Role: Project Director)
- Hemment, D (2014) Greater Manchester Data Synchronisation Programme (GMDSP). FutureEverything, Future Cities Catapult, Digital Catapult. (Open Digital Resource. Role: Project Director)