Our research student community benefits from a vibrant research environment at the Visual Research Centre (VRC) at Dundee Contemporary Arts (DCA) or the Research Studio at Matthew Building, DJCAD.
The VRC provides a focus for symposia, events, exposition of research and display using Centrespace and publishing. It also houses our collections which include:
- Centre for Artists’ Books
- Demarco Photographic Archive
- Artists’ Prints
- REWIND Archive and Micro Cinema.
Our PhD and MPhil community includes recent master's graduates, experienced academics and professionals returning to education during a career break.
We have been developing doctoral study in art and design and interdisciplinary research since 1991 and will shortly be introducing the practice-led PhD.
- Topography and flight: The creative application of aerial photography and digital visualisation for landscape heritage (Kieran Baxter, 16/11/2017)
- paperPublics (John Dummett, 16/11/2017)
- Double Vision: A practice-based investigation of art and differential perception (David Lyons, 01/09/2017)
- Towards the Uncanny Object: Creating Interactive Craft with Smart Materials (Katharina (Childs) Vones, 21/06/2017)
- An Investigation Into Digital Paper Interfaces Through the Lens of a Craft Technologist (Mike Shorter, 22/03/2017)
- Truth Games: Fact, Fiction, and Performance in British Autobiographical Comics (Damon Herd, 01/02/2017)
- Symbiotic Design Practice: Designing with-in nature (David Sanchez-Ruano, David Sanchez-Ruano)
- Residencies with Resonance: A case for pragmatism in design-led concept development (Saskia Coulson, 17/11/2016)
- Prototyping the Exhibition: A Practice-Led Investigation Into the Framing and Communication of Design as a Process of Innovation (Joanna Bletcher, 22/06/2016)
- The Museum within Us: Exposing artist-led curatorial strategies in an expanded practice (Edwin Janssen, 22/06/2016)
Potential research candidates are advised to study the research staff profiles on this website, contact staff by email, and then visit DJCAD for further discussion. You may also contact the Research Office at DJCAD for advice on entry requirements, application and funding.