University offers £25,000 to up-and-coming entrepreneurs
Published On Fri 24 Nov 2017
£25,000 is on offer to support new business ideas among students, staff and recent alumni as the University of Dundee launches the Venture Competition 2018.
The competition is now open for applications, with seven specific categories for:
- Undergraduate Student Award, Early Stage Idea (£2,500 prize fund, sponsored by Business Gateway and the University of Dundee, Centre of Entrepreneurship)
- Business School Student Award, for any Business School student currently studying or who graduated within the last 2 years (£2,500 prize fund sponsored by University of Dundee School of Business)
- Undergraduate Student Award, final year students graduating Summer 2018 (£2,500 prize fund sponsored by University of Dundee, Centre of Entrepreneurship)
- Postgraduate Student Award (£5,000 prize fund sponsored by James Keiller Investments)
- Recent Graduate Award, for those who graduated within last 2 years (£2,500 prize fund sponsored by Elevator)
- Staff Award, Non-Research Related Idea (£5,000 prize fund sponsored by Elevator and the University of Dundee Organisational and Professional Development)
- Staff Award, Research Related Idea (£5,000 prize fund sponsored by Research and Innovation Services and University of Dundee School of Business)
Professor Sir Pete Downes, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University, said, “So many staff, students and alumni of our University community are bursting with brilliant business ideas and innovative ideas that just need support to become fully-fledged enterprises.
“We are committed to giving them as much support as we can to be enterprising and entrepreneurial. I am excited to see the ideas they bring forward for the Venture Competition 2018, which I am sure will be fiercely contested.”
Brian McNicoll, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Manager at the University, said the competition would give entrants the chance to put their ideas to leading business innovators and potential investors.
“We have great support from the business community for this years’ competition. This is an exciting opportunity for staff and students to pitch their ideas to business leaders and ultimately secure a significant investment that could make all the difference in turning something from an idea into a successful company.”
Applications for Venture 2018 are open now and must be submitted before 5pm on Sunday 6th February 2018.
Details of the competition and how to apply are available here http://uod.ac.uk/venture