Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design Residency Programme
Deadline Friday 23 June 2017, 5pm
For all enquiries please contact DJCAD-PA-Management DJCAD-PA-Management@dundee.ac.uk
Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design Residency provides the tools to cultivate and maximize an individual’s creative and entrepreneurial potential by providing:
- The time, space and facilities to take creative risks and boldly experiment.
- An enterprising environment to enhance professional career development, affording an opportunity to develop a tailored programme of activities that nurtures creative and business capacities in equal parts. For example, how to develop their portfolio while developing a career as a freelancer, self-employment, employment for a larger agency, a Director of multiple micro businesses.
The Programme consists of three elements:
The resident will benefit from:
- A workspace within the School
- Expertise, equipment or workshop facilities required to pursue the practice based research and experimentation (within reason, e.g. time and cost). *
- Access to both the teaching and learning resources available within the wider University (i.e. DJCAD’s bookable meeting rooms, bookable workshop facilities and the University's Main Library). *
The human ecology of the residency is of great importance to the development of the individual, and therefore the DJCAD Residency will provide:
- Mentorship from a dedicated mentor within the School and-or Tayside business community. This is led by the Resident and supported by the Head of Entrepreneurship, Enterprise and Employability in the first instance.
- Networking with relevant DJCAD and (where appropriate) University staff members, who are directly related to helping the resident achieve their goals. This is embedded in the mentoring.*
- Networking with other students and graduates from across the University as part of a growing community of supported entrepreneurs.
The resident will benefit from enhanced exposure provided by the School, which includes the following:
- Teaching, researching and developing knowledge transfer skills, including the enhancement of interpersonal social skills such as verbal and non-verbal communication, listening and decision-making.
- Business and Enterprise support in key areas, such as manufacturing, selling and intellectual property, delivered in partnership with the Centre of Entrepreneurship at the University of Dundee, and annual Pop-Up Enterprise events delivered in partnership with the Enterprise and Entrepreneurship ecosystem in Scotland, for example, Elevator, Dundee and Angus Chamber of Commerce, Cultural Enterprise Office, RSA Scotland, The Prince’s Trust, Federation of Small Businesses, and the Business Gateway.
- A promotional platform to integrate into the network of Scottish contemporary artists, craftspeople and designers (i.e. invitations to special creative arts, culture and industry events; awareness of new job opportunities).
* To be agreed in advance with Head of Entrepreneurship, Enterprise and Employability, their assigned mentor and-or Programme Director.
Graduates of Duncan of Jordanstone College (from 2013-2017) where, as residents they will be expected to:
- Assist within Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design’s public engagement activities (such as research, enterprising initiatives and teaching & learning), supporting staff in delivery and development of the School as a whole. (A maximum of one day per week or 14 days per semester will be made in agreement with their Programme Leader and-or Principal Investigator).
- Demonstrate and communicate the concept of “Research Into Practice” with a wide range of students, University staff, and external parties.
- Have a self-directed and pro-active approach to all aspects of your professional career development and the requirements of the Residency.
- Be willing to contribute to a series of creative, academic and administrative duties as / when required.
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment and flexibility throughout.
- Adopt a transparent and consistent approach to communication with peers and colleagues
- Commit a minimum of 3 full days to their Residency, each week for the duration of each Semester.
The programme is for one academic year, September and ending July, or for an agreed period (i.e. on a designated project).
At an appropriate time and venue, DJCAD will host an exhibition or exposition of the resident’s work that was created throughout the year. The Head of Entrepreneurship, Enterprise and Employability will help to facilitate this event which is led by the Residency Collective.
The Resident will be required to produce a business plan or other evidence of a viable career plan / business model / product / service which is ready for market or further research investment.
Complete the application form and include the names of two referees (who maybe contacted if successful after interview).
Please also include a clear link to a website or send via email, BOX or Dropbox with a minimum of 6 titled hi-res images of current work.
Applications can be submitted electronically to DJCAD-PA-Management@dundee.ac.uk
Closing Date for application is 5pm on Friday 23 June 2017.
Interviews will be held in August (date to be confirmed).