Additional Information for EU and International Disabled Students



What is considered a disability in the UK?

There is no universal definition of 'disability' so it is important to understand what UK law says about this. Under the terms of the Equality Act 2010, a disabled person is defined as someone who has a physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial, long term and adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. This definition includes students with a wide range of impairments, including dyslexia, mental health difficulties, visual or hearing impairment and chronic health conditions. Further information is available under our Definition of Disability.


Why contact Disability Services?

All disabled students are encouraged to contact Disability Services as soon as possible, ideally prior to arrival, for confidential advice on the support the University provides and to identify any additional support you may require to meet your individual disability-related needs. See further information for prospective students and applicants and further details of the University's process for applicants who declare a disability.


What information do I need to provide?

We ask disabled students to provide supportive evidence from a suitably qualified professional that confirms the nature of their disability to enable the provision of individual support. This evidence may include, for example, a letter from a medical practitioner or a psychologist’s report. We ask that you provide such evidence in English or arrange for it to be translated into English before you arrive. All personal information is handled in line with our confidentiality policy.


What language support is available?

If English is not your first language, the University offers English language courses and academic writing support through the University’s Academic Skills Centre.  In addition, specialist advice on life and study in the UK is available from the University’s International Advice Service.

If you have dyslexia, additional advice can be sought from our Dyslexia Service.


What financial support is available?

Disabled students who are not ordinarily resident in the UK will not be eligible for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). However, the University of Dundee is committed to ensuring equality of access for all students, as far as reasonably possible.

If you are a disabled international or European student, please contact Disability Services as soon as possible to discuss your support needs and to find out more about the services and facilities available to you.  To help us with this, please investigate the following funding options before starting at Dundee University:

If funding is not available, Disability Services will work with you to arrange support as far as possible so please get in touch as soon as you can:


The University does not provide or fund support with daily living tasks, therefore you will need to think carefully about any non-academic, disability-related support requirements you may have, e.g. assistance with shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry or personal care. We may be able to provide information on agencies that provide care assistants, but you need to be aware that you will probably have to meet the costs of this type of support yourself, as UK government welfare benefits are not available to international students.


Where can I find more information?


Skip to top ↑