Dr Zhiguo Gao has a BA and LLM (Peking), LLM (Washington, JSD (Dalhousie) and Post-Doctorate (Hawaii). He joined the CEPMLP as a Lecturer of Laws in 1994 from the East- West Centre in Honolulu.
Dr Gao has held a number of positions as a senior administrative, policy and legal official in China.
In recent years, he has carried out research and consultancy work for law firms on business with China and for petroleum and mineral companies on their international operations. Dr Gao has published widely in the areas of international law of the sea and international petroleum law. He has a particular interest and expertise in the marine and petroleum law and policy of developing countries in general and the Asia- Pacific region in particular.
At the CEPMLP he teaches courses in International Environmental Law and Environmental Law, International Comparative Petroleum Law and Policy and Environmental Law and Policy for Natural Resources and Energy.
More recently, Dr Gao won the prestigious Willoughby Prize for excellence in natural resources and energy law research.
- Environmental Regulation of Oil and Gas, ed., (London: Kluwer Law International, Ltd., forthcoming in 1997), 300p.
- Production Sharing Contract (Dundee: CEPMLP, University of Dundee, 1996), 177p.
- International Petroleum Contracts (London: Graham & Trotman, 1994), 260p.
- Marine Policy in the Asian-Pacific Region, Co-Author, (Beijing: Ocean Press, 1990), 353p.
- A Review of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (Beijing: Ocean Press, 1985), 62p.
- "International Petroleum Transactions", E. Smith et al., 13 JENRL 236-238 (1995).
- International Offshore Petroleum Agreements: Towards the Compatibility of Energy Need & Sustainable Development, J.S.D. dissertation, Dalhousie University, July 1993, 670p.
- Maritime Boundary and Delimitation in the East China Sea, LL.M. thesis, University of Washington, September 1996, 90p.
- A Study of the Legal Issues of International Deep Seabed Regime, LL.M. thesis, China University of Political Science & Law, June 1983, 190p.
- Environmental Regulation of Oil and Gas in the 20th Century and beyond" (Dundee: CEPMLP Working Paper, April 1997), 80p.
- "A New Star of State Oil Companies: China Star and its Complications on the Industry and Investment" (Dundee: CEPMLP Working Paper, Feb. 1997), 40p.
- "World Petroleum Exploration Contracts and Brazil: An Overview of Recent Developments and current changes", 15(3) Oil & Gas Law and Taxation Revenue 79-87 (March 1997)
- "Current Issues of International Law on Offshore Abandonment: With Special Reference to the United Kingdom", 28 (1) Ocean Development & Int'l Law 59-78 (1997).
- "The Legal Concept and Aspects of Joint Development in International Law", 13 Ocean Yearbook (Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1997)
- "China's Petroleum Legal Regime for Foreign Participation in Upstream Operations: the Foreign Company's View", 14 Journal of Energy & Natural Resources Law 161-178 (1996).
- "International Petroleum Exploration and Exploitation Agreements: A Comprehensive Environmental Appraisal," in T. W. Walde and G. Ndi, ed., International Oil and Gas Investments: Moving Eastward? (London: Graham & Trotman, 1995), pp. 317-334.
- "Recent Trends and New Directions in International Petroleum Exploration and Exploitation Agreements," 17 World Competition 109-138 (1994).
- "International Petroleum Exploration and Exploitation Agreements: A Comprehensive Environmental Appraisal," 12 JENRL 240-56 (1994).
- "The South China Sea: From Conflict to Cooperations?" 25 ODIL 345-59 (1994).
- "China and the LOS Convention", 15 Marine Policy 199-208 (1991).
- "Offshore Hydrocarbon Resources and Regional Security: the Way in East Asia", presented at 24th Annual Conference on Pacem in Maribus: Oceans in the 21st Century, Beijing, 15-16 November 1996, pp. 1-28.
- "Current Developments of World Petroleum Exploration Contracts: With Particular Reference to Brazil", presented at International Conference on Petroleum and Mining: the Coming Years", 22-23 October 1996, Brasilia, Brazil, pp. 1-35.
- "Environmental Law and Issues of Offshore Abandonment and Decommissioning", presented at the Regional Conference of International Ocean Institute, 12-14 June 1995, Tianjin, China, pp. 1-34.
- "Recent Development of International Law on Offshore Abandonment", presented at the Conference on Minimizing the Impact of Decommissioning, London, February 22, 1996, pp. 1-57.
- "Legal Aspects of Joint Development in International Law", presented at 29th Annual Conference of the Law of the Sea Institute, Bali, Indonesia, 19-22 June 1995, pp. 1-23.
- "Issues of Conflict and Cooperation in the South China Sea", presented at the 21st Annual Conference of Pacem in Maribus: A Model for Regional Seas in the 21st Century, Takaoka, Japan, 6-10 September 1993, pp. 1-32.
- "Offshore Petroleum Arrangements and Sustainable Development in Developing Countries", in A. Couper and E. Gold, ed., The Marine Environment and Sustainable Development: Law, Policy and Science (Honolulu: The Law of the Sea Institute, 1991), pp. 253-284.