Chris Rogers joined the staff of the Centre in 1995 and retired in October 2008. He was a part-time Principal Research Fellow in the Centre and the Director of the Centre's PhD Programme.
After graduating from the University of Liverpool he has worked in the Office of the Trade Advisor of the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Commodities Division of UNCTAD, and is a former Head of the Department of Economics at Dundee. He has spent some time as a visiting Professor of Law at the European University Institute in Florence and as a visiting Professor of Finance at Nankai University in the People's Republic of China. He has more recently been involved with both UNCTAD and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) in the development of capacity building programmes related to the mining sector. He has been associated with a number of research and consultancy projects in the natural resources area funded by the United Kingdom's Department for International Development, United Nations Development Programme, UNCTAD and UNECA.
Main research interests are connected with the development of infrastructure to support economic development and issues of international and institutional governance.
Chris Rogers previously received a grant from the Arts and Humanities Research Council to develop a network for research on institutional governance [with Xuanli Liao, Alice Belcher (School of Law) and Elizabeth Kirk (School of Law)].
He also worked on a project on national oil companies with Xuanli Liao (funded by the Daiwa and Sasakawa Foundations).
Chris Rogers and John Southalan examined competition issues and access to mining infrastructure. Chris Rogers and Melaku Desta were researching international commodity agreements.
Publications & Conferences
- "Consumer Participation in the International Tin Agreements", Malayan Economic Review, 1969, pp. 113-129. Reprinted by the International Tin Council (London), 1970.
- "A Scheme for Enforcing the Tin Ceiling Price", Intereconomics, 1970, pp.344-347.
- "International Commodity Agreements", Lloyds Bank Review, 1973, pp.33-47.
- "Gli Accordi Internazionali per le Materie Prime", Mondo Aperto, 1973.
- "International Trade in Primary Commodities", Mercurio, 1973.
- "Agreement about Commodity Agreements?", Resources Policy, 1976, pp. 97-105.
- "Non-fuel Minerals and the Integrated Programme for Commodities", Natural Resources Forum, 1979, pp. 337-348.
- "Long-term Procurement Contracts with Special Reference to Iron Ore", Natural Resources Forum, 1980, pp. 205-212.
- "Developing Countries and the Marketing and Distribution of Iron Ore", in S. Johns & S. Sideri (Eds.), Mining and Development in the Third World, Pergamon, 1980, pp. 70-83
- "Long-term Procurement Contracts with Special Reference to Iron Ore", (Revised), in S. Johns & S. Sideri (Eds.), Mining and Development in the Third World, Pergamon, 1980, pp. 143-152.
- "Long-term contracts and East-West trade in non-fuel minerals", Resources Policy, 1986, pp. 204-221.
- (with K. Robertson) "Long-term Contracts and Market Stability: the Case of Iron Ore", Resources Policy, 1987, pp. 3-18.
- (with M.J. Holmes) "Material Substitution in UK Industry", Materials and Society, 1991, pp. 177-193.
- "Tin", in Peck, J., Landsberg, H.J., and Tilton, J., (eds.), Competitiveness in Metals: the impact of public policy, Mining Journal Books (London), 1992, pp. 242-265.
- (with P. Fraser) "Some evidence on the Potential Role of Commodity Prices in the Formulation of Monetary Policy", The Manchester School of Economic and Social Studies, 1992, pp. 377-389.
- (with K Topping, S Hill, A McKaig, N Rushi and D Young) "Paired Reciprocal Peer Tutoring in Undergraduate Economics", Innovations in Education and Training International, 1996, pp 96 113.
- (with T Bennett) “Taxation of the Mineral Sector in Namibia", Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law, 1999, pp.236-250.
- (with C P Andrews-Speed) "Mining Taxation Issues for the Future", Resources Policy, 1999, pp.221-227.
- (with Philip Andrews-Speed, Armando Zamora, Lei Chen, Shelley Cao and Minying Yang) "A framework for policy formulation for small scale mines: the case of coal in China", Natural Resources Forum, 2002, pp. 45-54.
- "Diversification and the Creation of Human and Social Capital", in Managing Mineral Wealth, Economic Commission for Africa, 2004, pp.133-156
Invited Participant to the following international workshops and conferences:
- 1979 - Workshop on the State Sector and the International Economy, Institute for Social Studies, The Hague, Netherlands.
- 1982 - Workshop on Resource and Environment Applications of Scenario Analysis, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria.
- 1982 - Joint Seminar on Development Economics, University of St Andrews/Centre d'Etudes et de Recherches sur le Developpement International (CERDI), Universitie de Clermont I, St Andrews.
- 1983/1984 - Workshops on East-West Trade in Minerals, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria.
- 1987 - European Community Summer School on International Finance at Nankai University, China.
- 1987 - Workshop on World Metal Demand, organized by Colorado School of Mines, Resources for the Future and the Outokumpu Company, Helsinki, Finland.
- 1990 - Workshop on Governmental Mining Policies, at Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado.
- 1990 - Expert Group Meeting on Mining Policies and Comparative Advantage, UNIDO, Vienna.
- 1994 - Summer School on International Mineral Investment and Regulation, Centre for Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy, University of Dundee.
- 1996 - Conference on La Cohésion de L'Union Européene face à la Monnaie Unique, University of Grenoble, France
- 1996 - Investment in the International Mining Industry, CEPMLP, University of Dundee
- 1997 - International Investment and the Global Mining Industry, CEPMLP, University of Dundee
- 1998 - Recycling, University of Luleå, Sweden
- 1998 - Risk and Reward in the International Mining Industry, CEPMLP, University of Dundee
- 1999 - Recycled Products, KretsloppsCentrum, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1999 - The Recycling of Metals, The Materials Information Society, Vienna
- 1999 - Global Issues in Mining Development, CEPMLP, University of Dundee
- 1999 - Mining and Oil and Gas: Similarities and Differences, Ministry of Land and Resources, Beijing, China.
- 2001 - International Mining Seminar, CEPMLP, University of Dundee
- 2001 - PCCP Expert Group Meeting, UNESCO, Delft, Netherlands
- 2001 - American Water Resources Association - Annual Meeting, Dundee
- 2001 - First International Conference/Symposium on Oil Pollution & Environmental Management, Abuja, Nigeria
- 2002 - UNECA/UNDESA/UNCTAD Joint Seminar on Management of Mineral Wealth and the Role of Mineral Wealth in Socio-economic Development, Lusaka, Zambia
- 2005 - UNECA/UNCTAD Seminar on Managing Mineral Wealth, Kampala, Uganda
- 2006 - UNECA/UNCTAD Seminar on Integrated Resources Planning: Fostering Minerals Clusters