Anglo American Scholarships to study LLM Mineral Law and Policy
Published On Mon 17 Sep 2018
Anglo American, together with CEPMLP, acknowledges the importance of contributing worldwide to sustainable mineral resources development.
As part of its interest in supporting best regulatory practice in the mining sector, Anglo American are now offering two fully funded postgraduate scholarships leading to the LLM in International Mineral Law and Policy. This offer is for the academic session 2018/2019 which covers January 2019 entrants.
Application deadline Friday 16th November 2018.
Successful applicants will receive:
Payment of academic tuition fees
- 12 monthly stipends for living expenses for a single student
- An arrival allowance and thesis/internship report allowance
Applicants eligible for consideration should:
- Already hold a degree of an equivalent standard to at least a good UK upper second class honours degree or higher
- Be able to demonstrate a high level of English language competence (minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, with no component less than 6.0)
- Display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- Have a proven track record and potential to rise to positions of influence
- Preferably be qualified lawyers having had some post-degree work experience in mining in the government, private sector, or academia.
- Applicants should also be a national and resident of the following countries at the time of applying for the award, go on to complete the degree within 12 months and return to their home country at the end of the period of study: South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia, Brazil, Peru, Colombia or Chile.
*Applicants from other countries seeking the scholarship will not be considered.
** Employees, employee's relatives (or former employees who have left employment less than 5 years before) of Anglo American and the University of Dundee will not be eligible to apply for these awards.
Method of Scholarship Selection:
Please note that there is no separate application form for the Anglo American Scholarship.
Candidates who are offered unconditional admission to the full-time LLM in International Mineral Law and Policy programme should provide a 250-word Personal Statement sent by email attachment to Alison Anderson by Friday 16th November 2018. Those who hold a conditional offer are not eligible to submit the supporting statement.
Given that these Scholarships are highly competitive, it is important to demonstrate in your Personal Statement that you are motivated to make a career that will take you to a position of leadership in the mining sector in your own country within 10 years of your Scholarship. You must be committed to networking to find global solutions and you should be able to use your studies and experience gained in the UK to benefit yourself, your country and the UK. You should become a first-class ambassador for the UK in your home country.
Your Personal Statement should emphasise the following points:
- Your ability to make a difference in the world, illustrated by your leadership qualities
- Your skills in communications and the ability to influence people and decisions
- Your networking ability, ambition and plans for the future
- Your academic background and potential on the LLM degree programme, your strength of character and integrity
- Your outside interests – i.e. hobbies and activities.
The decision about the awards of these Scholarships will be made by the 30th of November 2018. If you have not heard from us by this time, then please assume that your application for the Scholarship has been unsuccessful.
Due to the volume of applications we receive for these Scholarships, we regret that we are unable to contact unsuccessful applicants individually or provide feedback on applications.