Changing the way we deliver professional services at a cultural, organisational and operational level over the next five years.
Over the next five years, Business Transformation will completely change the way we work at the University of Dundee.
- We'll have a culture of continuous improvement where you're empowered to make things better
- Our processes and structure will help us to deliver a common good across the institution
- Our systems will be intuitive, reliable, and accessible from any device, anywhere
- We'll offer a better experience to staff and students in many of their most common interactions with our professional services.
Those professional services (Finance, HR, Research and Student Services) are essential to delivering our strategy, and achieving our ambition of being Scotland's leading university.
What is Business Transformation?
Business Transformation will change the way we work at a cultural, organisational and technological level.
It's much more than a systems replacement programme - it's an investment in our ambition to become Scotland's leading university.
We want to deliver repeatable, reliable ways of working supported by strong data that enables strategic decisions, to deliver excellence in research and learning. By giving our people the right skills, expertise and technology we'll ensure the University continues its mission of transforming lives.
The programme has six strategic objectives, aligned to the University's vision and strategy:
- Implement the best ways of working so we can spend more time on what matters most
- Improve the quality and control of our data across the University
- Use the improved data to enable strategic decision making and planning
- Deliver high quality services to Schools and the University community, in line with the University's priorities
- Offer automation and self-service to empower our staff
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement in everything we do
What will change?
- We'll optimise the way we work, including processes, structure and behaviours
- We'll implement consistent processes across the organisation
- We'll develop a culture of continuous improvement at all levels
- We'll replace diverse, disconnected systems with the OneUniversity solution - you can find out more about this on its dedicated page.
Why do we need to change?
In the 50 years our University has been independent, the world has changed dramatically. Those changes, often enabled by technology, have changed our students, staff and society's expectations of us. We need to respond and, where possible, exceed those expectations. It's a challenge and an opportunity that can help us to transform lives in new, surprising ways.
But, like many universities, we have a complex ecosystem of users, audiences and data. It leads to several issues:
- We lack common processes, systems or standards
- The quality of our data is inconsistent and we can't share it easily
- We approach improvements on an individual basis
- Too many people are involved in administration tasks that could be automated.
Our current ways of working are unsustainable. We want to make the most of our resources so that we’re more than the sum of our parts. Our new ways of working will see us work in a common way and ultimately deliver consistent standards.
Our processes won’t be as bespoke as they are right now, but we’ll create a higher standard across the university as a whole. Ultimately we’ll deliver improvements in quality and control, as well as a reduction in costs. So, as well as making sure we're sustainable for the next 50 years, we can start to deliver on the incredible potential we have.