The vast majority of our communication with the outside world is via email. Corporate email reflects our brand just as much as letterheads or business cards.
A consistent and strong email signature for staff ensures whoever we email to know they’re speaking with someone from the University of Dundee. It also allows any user, internal or external, to easily know who they are talking with, and easily check contact information.
How to use
Your signature will be generated in HTML format which you can download as a ZIP archive. You can add your signature to Outlook for Windows, Outlook for Mac, and the Outlook web app by following the instructions at the bottom of this page.
Adding your signature to Outlook
Outlook on the web
- Log in to webmail.
- Click the cog icon in the top right, click mail under 'Your app settings', then click email signatures under layout.
- Click into the signature box and delete your current signature (press CTRL + A, followed by delete).
- Press CTRL + A, followed by delete another two times (this cleans any invisible elements from the box).
- Open the .htm file containing your signature (included in the ZIP file you created above) in your web browser.
- Copy and paste the contents from the browser into the outlook web app signature box (click in the browser window, press CTRL + A to select the signature, CTRL + C to copy it, and then in Outlook press CTRL + V to paste the signature).
- Click save (your signature may not look correct when you first paste it into the box, click save and it should work as expected when you create a new email).
Outlook for Windows
- Open Outlook.
- Open File, Options, Mail
- Hold CTRL and click on the Signature button.
- The window that opens contains all the current signature files, delete all of the files from this folder.
- With the window still open copy the .htm file containing your signature (included in the ZIP file you created above) into this folder.
- Close the window and return to the Outlook Mail settings, click on the Signature button and your new signature should appear (your signature may not look correct in this window but will appear correctly on emails).
- Set your signature preferences for New emails / Replies and click OK.
Outlook for Mac
Due to a bug in Outlook, email signatures may not work reliably in versions of Outlook higher than 15.19 (click Outlook, About to check your version). Microsoft have provided a potential fix for version 16.10 and higher. We are working on this.