All the leaves are brown...
This beautifully descriptive poem forms part of a commonplace book which also contains newscuttings, ink and watercolour sketches, pages of signatures, letters and poetry. The book is small, roughly 4 x 6 inches, but packed full of interesting features. With no two pages the same, it is exciting for a reader as turning each page brings with it new delight.
The book is part of a large box of items that came to the University Archives recently relating to the Lee and Scrymgeour families. The think the book belonged to Nora Scrymgeour but she did not compose the poem nor write it in the book. The initials M.B.D belong to the person who has beautifully written around the pressed leaves. Judging from the writing the composer of the poem is Tifrida Wolfe. There is no date on the page but the other entries span 1924-1934 so it is highly likely this poem was added to the book during this same period.
It is quite typical to have to do some detective work when processing new accessions. With this specific collection, however, we have been provided with some contextual information which is very useful and a deeper delve through all the pages of the commonplace book may reveal who M.B.D and Tifrida is although in some cases it may never become clear who people are or how they relate to each other.
Ref no: Acc 2017/902
The Time Is Now
This photograph is from a series that charts the changing waterfront from January 2012 right up to the present day. Shot in July 2015 from the University Tower by a member of the archives team, this image shows the site cleared of the previous structures; Tayside House, the Hilton Hotel and the Olympia Leisure Centre now gone. The demolition of these buildings made way for the build of Kengo Kuma’s iconic design for the V & A Museum’s first flagship building outside of London and the creation of work and recreational spaces at the waterfront.
With the opening of the Museum on the 15th September 2018, it is incredible to see how much has changed in just three years. The series of images taken every few weeks provides a snapshot into the development of the build, charting its rise from the Tay to sit alongside the Discovery. Now dominating the waterfront site, the excitement surrounding the opening of the Museum is palpable in the City and beyond, drawing interest from those keen to see both the building and the collections it will house.
The waterfront regeneration will continue following the opening of the Museum with office space still under construction and other aspects of the development plan still to come to fruition. As such, the series of photographs will be added to with the aim of recording the changing face of the City’s waterfront during this ongoing period of redevelopment.
The Archive has photographs and records across a range of collections which demonstrate how the city has changed over the decades.
Ref no: Tayside House & Waterfront DSC 7209
This delightful image of a little boy watching the sailing boats at the Swannie Ponds, Dundee, on a sunny day was taken almost sixty years ago. Despite the passage of time, this photograph could have been taken yesterday.
Very little has changed at Stobmuir Ponds. Affectionately known as the Swannie Ponds due to the resident swans, the area has been a focal point for recreation for generations of Dundonians. A little oasis next to arterial roads in and out of the city, the top pond has a central island which is home to swans, ducks and herons. Popular in the summer months for boating, it also attracts ice skaters in the winter.
These sailing boats are on the bottom pond, home to the oldest model boat club in Scotland and one of the oldest in the UK. Established in 1885, Dundee Model Boat Club continues to thrive with members meeting twice a week to sail their boats. Passers-by, young and old, can enjoy watching the boats on the pond and can take along their own boats to sail and race when the pond is not in use.
Long summer evenings are perfect for some free, outdoor fun at the Swannie Ponds. The park includes a play area for young children and a beautiful rose garden to admire. This photograph by Alex Coupar is a reminder that sometimes the most pleasure comes from the simplest of things.
Now to create a flotilla of paper boats for some family fun………
Ref: MS 258 Alex Coupar collection
Skirling and a' Whirling
This fantastic photograph shows members of The Grampian Club celebrating the occasion of club member Bob Leitch having bagged his final munro, Geal Charn. The photograph, taken on 6th August 1977, includes Andrew Leitch playing the bagpipes, Christine Leitch, Jack Tibbs and Jean Green.
The Club was formed in 1927. The first meet of 12 members was held in Glen Clova. The club has continued to thrive over the last nine decades and now boasts over 200 members who enjoy a range of outdoor activities including walking, climbing, mountaineering and skiing. As well as outdoor pursuits, other activities include regular indoor meetings to host lectures & slide shows and the publication of The Grampian Club Bulletin.
Over the years, various members of the Club have used their expertise to assist the Tayside Mountain Rescue and other local and national organisations.
The Archive holds The Grampian Club collection which includes administrative records, hut records, maps and photographs.
Ref no: MS 138/18/1/5/1
Creative Design: the old inspiring the new
This wonderful object was designed and created for Chaos and Order, a collaborative project between Archive Services and Level 3 Illustration students at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design which ran in 2017. Each student was assigned an archive box, the contents of which would inspire a creative response.
The box which led to the design of this object contained a notebook belonging to John Grant who worked in the spinning department of Angus Jute Works in West Bengal. It describes the work of the spinning department and details the spindles and some of the machinery on the factory floor. The student used this information to re-create upright wooden spindles with etched details on discs of acrylic visualised from the written descriptions in the notebook.
The archive box also contained Colloquial Hindustani for Jute Mills & Workshops written and published by Mohiuddin Ahmad in Calcutta, 1947. Excerpts from this phrasebook have been printed and wound around the spindles, creating a connection between the jute industry and the change in lifestyle and language that impacted on jute workers who left Dundee to work in the mills in Calcutta.
Interestingly, both Grant’s notebook and the Hindustani phrasebook were originally handed in to a charity in Fife, who subsequently deposited the items with Archive Services to form part of the extensive textile collections held at the University. The items add a great deal to understanding the work and wider societal changes for those who chose to relocate to India in the 1940s.
Chaos and Order culminated in an exhibition which showcased the new works of art alongside some of the archive collections which inspired them. We are delighted that Claire, the student who produced this object, has kindly donated her art work to the archive collections. It can be viewed in the searchroom as can the items that inspired her design.
April image: Wool samples, Spring 1938
These samples of wool were produced by Wilson Bros (Alva) Ltd for the Spring season. They're a timely reminder that Scottish springs can be more like winter than summer.
March image: Spring has sprung
As the snow melts away the first buds of spring are starting to appear, welcoming in the new season. This colourful and cheerful image is the front cover of a catalogue listing bulbs and seeds for sale at Small’s of Brechin in 1910.
David Small & Sons of Brechin was established in 1896 when David bought an existing seedsman business from James Young at 20 Swan Street, Brechin. The seedsman aspect was a constant in the business, as they further expanded into nurserymen and floristry. Continuing success led to a second shop opening at 147 High Street, Montrose. David Small & Sons thrived until the son of the founder retired in 1976.
The collection consists of colourful advertising catalogues and price lists some of which contain horticultural advice on how to best prepare the ground before plantation of seeds, how to cultivate a crop and even uses for the vegetables grown. There are also photographs of the premises and the horses and carts used to transport the sacks of seeds. Documents relating to financial side of the business include cash books, day books and the valuation of stock when Small took over from Young.
The advice, tips and colourful illustrations will inspire the green fingered and the novice gardener alike.
Ref: MS 41/4/5 (11)
February image: Polynesian portrait
These two women have no names and we don’t know when their photograph was taken, or exactly where. But it doesn’t really matter as their serenity and dignity shines down through the years.
The photograph is in an album featuring 19th century Polynesian scenes and people which forms part of the Alexander Thoms collection. As well as knowing nothing about the women, we know very little about Thoms.
Alexander was a member of the Thoms of Clepington family and as a young man went to Bengal, India, where he remained engaged in estate and plantation business for about thirty years. In 1884 he returned to Scotland, living in St Andrews until his death in 1925 aged 89 years.
The collection also contains another photograph album featuring pictures of geological formations and bird colonies, nests and eggs from the Hebrides and Shetland. Thoms was an amateur mineralogist, and he presented a valuable collection of stones and minerals to University College, Dundee.
Thoms’s Polynesian album was possibly a souvenir of a trip from Bengal to the Islands. It contains photographs of ancient and modern buildings, of scenery and people and of them all, these two women were likely to have been remembered by Thoms.
Ref: MS 180