How To Apply
You can apply to most of our full time, taught postgraduate courses, using the online system, UKPASS.
For most of the others courses, there is a paper form which you can download.
Check the individual course page to find out which application system to use.
For Postgraduate Research Degrees, visit our Postgraduate Research website.
To apply for one of our courses via UKPASS, follow the link from the individual course page. You will be taken through a registration process, and then you can create your application online. You do not have to complete the application form all at once, you can save your details and return to it at a later date.
You can attach scanned documents to your application (up to 3MB in size), or send them to the email (or postal) address supplied.
Once you have completed your application, you submit it online, and we will receive it.
After we receive your application, we check the documents you have sent, and will send you an acknowledgement by email - we aim to do this within one week. For more information on how we process your application, see Your Application Journey below.
For more information on the UKPASS application process,
download our Applying through UKPASS guide (5MB).
If you require assistance using UKPASS, please contact the UKPASS Customer Service Unit via email on firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone +44 (0)871 334 4 447 (Monday to Friday, 08:30-18:00 UK time).
The main exceptions to UKPASS are:
For research degrees, visit our Research website.
Starting Date for Postgraduate Study
Most full-time and part-time courses have one start date which is mid-September.
Some courses have two intakes - January and September:
Visit our January intake webpage for the full, up to date, list
The main exceptions to this are:
Closing Date for Applications
- For most courses, there is no formal closing date for UK/EU students applying direct to the University although early application is essential if sponsorship requiring the recommendation of an academic school is being sought. Exceptions are shown on individual course pages.
- Applications for courses starting in September will not be accepted from overseas applicants after 31 July.
- Applications for courses starting in January will not be accepted from overseas applicants after 30th November.
- For GTTR courses the closing date is 15 December in the year before commencing postgraduate study
- For UCAS courses the closing date is 15 January in the year you wish to study
The following documents should accompany your completed application:
- Home Students - a photocopy/scan of your University Degree Certificate and a scanned copy of your transcript/marksheet.
- International Students (outwith UK/EU) (qualifications not obtained at a UK university) - photocopies/scans of:
- your University Degree Certificate
- a University transcript/marksheet in English of your degree curriculum
- an English Language proficiency certificate (IELTS, TOEFL, CPE, IGCSE)
- International Students (qualifications from a UK university) - a photocopy/scan of your University Degree Certificate and a scanned copy of your transcript/marksheet.
- Art and Design Applicants - an outline of your proposed study plus a portfolio of recent, relevant work
- References - you can send your references in several ways:
- you should attach scanned documents to your UKPASS application*
- you or your referee can send by post with your full name, and UKPASS or University of Dundee id number, to the address shown on our Contact Us webpage
- you or your referee can send by email with your full name, and UKPASS or University of Dundee id number, to email@example.com
*If you are unable to upload your supporting documents onto your UKPASS application, you can scan and email your supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote your University of Dundee or UKPASS id number in the subject field of the email.
Once you have returned your completed application it will be forwarded to the appropriate selectors for consideration. Please allow up to 2 weeks for an update. One of three decisions will be made, and we will inform you, via email and UKPASS (where appropriate):
- Unconditional Offer - if you already satisfy the entry requirements
- Conditional Offer - if you can satisfy the entry requirements stated by the admission tutors
- Rejection - if you are not considered to be suitably qualified
An admissions pack (including matriculation/enrolment details, and a visa letter, if relevant) will be sent out once you have:
- an Unconditional offer, and have informed the University of Dundee that you accept this offer OR
- a Conditional offer, and have informed the University of Dundee that you accept this offer, and have also informed us that you have met the conditions of your offer
AND, in order to satify the new UK Immigration (Tier 4) Visa requirements, applicants requiring a Visa to study in the UK must have also:
- sent the University a photocopy/scan of their passport (which should include passport number, name and full passport details, and any existing visas), and had this approved, and
- sent the University evidence of the qualifications that they have obtained.
More information will be available here shortly on the new UK Immigration Points-based System (PBS, Tier 4) (see www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/).