This program calculates either:
- the thickness of material required for a particular maximum transmission;
- the maximum transmission of a specified thickness of material.
It is assumed that irradiation is under broad beam conditions.
Sources of Data
Most diagnostic energy data:
- Simpkin DJ (1995) Shielding Diagnostic X-ray Facilities. Health Phys 68:5;705-709
- Sutton DG & Williams JR (eds.) (2000) Radiation Shielding for
Diagnostic X-rays. British Institute of Radiology, London.
Data relating to Ytong aerated concrete:
- Tsalafoutas IA, Yakoumakis E, Manetou A, Flioni-vyza A. (1998) The
diagnostic X-ray protection characteristics of Ytong, an aerated concrete
based building material. Br J Rad 71:944-949
High energy transmission data: (still to be added to program database)
- Dunster HJ, Ellis RE, Jones BE, Jones EW, Rees JM. (1971) Handbook of
Radiological Protection. Panel of the Radioactive Substances Advisory
Committee. HMSO, London.
You need a Java plugin for this software to work on your browser, please
download from Sun's website.
Please send comments to Andrew Reilly.
Return to contents page...
Back to the Medical Physics homepage...