Facts & Figures
The University continues to grow and develop without losing sight of its key mission -
"to advance and diffuse knowledge, wisdom and understanding by teaching and research and by the example and influence of its corporate life".
Three key touchstones help to focus progress and provide a measure of successes in the continuing improvement and development of the University. Recent successes and achievements in each of these areas of focus are:
Achieving excellence in teaching and learning
- Dundee Medical School ranked 5th in the Guardian 2013 University Guide
- The University ranked 140 among the world's top 200 universities in the Times Higher Education 2010-11 World University Rankings
- The School of Dentistry is ranked top in Scotland and second in the UK for teaching excellence in the Guardian's University Guide for 2011.
- The University is in the top ten UK Universities for teaching and learning - Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2010
- 54% of the University's research is achieving 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' standards in the most recent Research Assessment Exercise (2008)
- Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design has been rated the top art school in Scotland and in the top four in the UK in the latest Research Assessment Exercise (2008)
Promoting pure and applied research and scholarship at international levels of excellence
- The University of Dundee has been ranked top in the world for the impact of its research in pharmacology (Times Higher Education 2010)
- Awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize 2005 for work in drug discovery and development
- The University is the first approved Cancer Research UK Centre in Scotland. The Dundee Cancer Centre was launched on World Cancer Day, February 2010.
- The University is home to the UK's first UNESCO Centre of Excellence: the UNESCO Centre for Water Law, Policy and Science
- The University hosts the UK's first interface science institute, The Institute for Medical Science and Technology
- The University has spun out 20 companies in the past ten years whilst raising up to £150m in funding. These spin-out and start-up companies are collectively generating over £89m in annual turnover and creating over 700 jobs worldwide, including up to 300 in Dundee.
Enabling staff and students to develop to the full in an environment of equal opportunity
- Dundee is top in Scotland in 2013 Times Higher Education student experience survey
- Dundee is voted number one in the UK in Times Higher Education 2011-12 Student Experience Survey
- Voted one of the world's best places for postdoctoral scientists in an international poll by The Scientist magazine (2009)
- Voted one of the top ten places to work in an international poll by The Scientist magazine (2009)
- Two of the world's most cited biochemists are based at the University of Dundee - Professor Sir Philip Cohen and Professor Dario Allessi.
- The University graduates more students into the professions including law, accountancy, architecture, dentistry, education, social work and nursing than any other Scottish university
- Ranked top in Scotland and in the top five of all UK universities for facilities - Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey (January 2010)
- Dundee University Students' Association (DUSA) has been ranked top in Scotland and one of the best in the world by the International Student Barometer survey 2010.
- Dundee became an independent University in 1967 following a 70 year relationship with the University of St Andrews
- The University's origins date back to 1881 when University College, Dundee was founded
- The University is made up of four Colleges:
- Art, Science & Engineering
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing
Please see Organisation of the University for more information.
- The University has more than doubled in size since 1994
- It has an annual turnover of £208 million
- The University is a key driver of the V&A at Dundee project, which aims to develop a new centre of 21st century design for Scotland at the heart of Dundee's waterfront.
- The University is committed to sustainability. It has won two prestigious Green Gown awards - the Dalhousie building won the water and energy efficiency prize in 2007/8 and the Queen Mother Building was highly commended for sustainable construction 2006/7. It also achieved Fairtrade status in 2008.
The University is home to more than 17000 students and more than 3000 staff.
Around 12000 of the students are involved in undergraduate studies.
Distance learning students account for almost 20 per cent of all students (including undergraduate and postgraduate).
Find out more detailed breakdown of student numbers across departments.
- Shortlisted as University of the Year 2008 - Times Higher Education Awards
- One of the UK's top 20 universities - The Guardian (May 2009)
- The City of Dundee has again been selected as one of the world's top seven 'intelligent communities' - US 'think-tank' Intelligent Community Forum (January 2010)