Dr David McGloin
Telephone: +44 (0) 1382 384402 [ext. 84402] Fax: +44 (0) 1382 388313
Room: Ewing Building
Dr. McGloin heads the Applied Optical Manipulation Group in the Electronic Engineering and Physics Division. The Group carries out research based around the technology know as optical tweezers and has research interests in microfluidics, aerosols, novel light beams, biophotonics and microscopy.
Dr. McGloin is currently a Lecturer and holds a Royal Society University Research Fellowship. Prior to moving to Dundee in 2007 he was in the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of St. Andrews where he was a postdoctoral fellow in the world leading Optical Trapping Group, working on laser cooling and guiding of atoms, before starting his Royal Society Fellowship. Before taking up his academic appointments he worked for Dstl at Fort Halstead as a project scientist specialising in optical imaging technologies. His doctoral work was carried out in St. Andrews in quantum and nonlinear optics, supervised by Prof. Malcolm Dunn.
His research is currently funded by EPSRC, the Royal Society, the RSC and the British Council. In the past the group has also received funding from the Royal Society of Edinburgh and NERC.
- PhD (St. Andrews, 2001) "Radio and Optical Field Effects in Electromagnetically Induced Transparency"
- MSci (Hons) (St. Andrews, 1997) Laser Physics and Optoelectronics
- Optical tweezers
- Novel light beams
- Holographic beam shaping
- Particle dynamics
- Orbital angular momentum conversion in a strongly focused optical beam (pdf) Yiqiong Zhao, J. Scott Edgar, Gavin D.M. Jeffries, D. McGloin, and Daniel T. Chiu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 073901 (2007)
- Holographic optical manipulation of hyphal growth in filamentous fungi (pdf) D.R. Burnham, G.D. Wright, N.D. Read and D. McGloin, J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt. 9 S172-S179 (2007) doi:10.1088/1464-4258/9/8/S09
- Parametric Resonance of Optically Trapped Aerosols (pdf) R. Di Leonardo, G. Ruocco, J. Leach, M. J. Padgett, A. J. Wright, J. M. Girkin, D. R. Burnham and D. McGloin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99 010601 (2007)
- Optical phase conjugation in a colloidal medium C. López-Mariscal, J. C. Gutiérrez-Vega, David McGloin and Kishan Dholakia Opt. Express 15 (10) 6330-6335 (2007)
- Vortex-Trap Induced Fusion of Femtoliter-Volume Aqueous Droplets (pdf) Robert M. Lorenz, J. Scott Edgar, Gavin D.M. Jeffries, Yiqiong Zhao, David McGloin and Daniel T. Chiu, Anal. Chem. 79 (1), 224 -228, (2007) DOI: 10.1021/ac061586w
Dr David McGloin
Division of Electronic Engineering and Physics
University of Dundee