Rio Tinto Scholarships
Rio Tinto plc, together with CEPMLP, acknowledges the importance of contributing worldwide to sustainable mineral resources development. As part of the CEPMLP/Rio Tinto Partnership agreement, the CEPMLP are offering fully funded postgraduate scholarships leading to the degree Mineral Law and Policy LLM
The award will offer the successful candidate:
- Payment of academic tuition fees
- 12 monthly stipends for living expenses for a single student
- An arrival allowance and thesis/assignment allowance
Applicants eligible for consideration should:
- Already hold a degree of an equivalent standard to at least a good UK upper second class honours degree or higher
- Be able to demonstrate a high level of English language competence (minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, with no component less than 6.0)
- Display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- Have a proven track record and potential to rise to positions of influence
- Preferably be qualified lawyers having had some post-degree work experience in mining in the government, private sector, or academia
- Be a national and resident of the following countries at the time of applying for the award, and go on to complete the degree within 12 months and return to their home country at the end of the period of study:
* Employees, employee's relatives (or former employees who have left employment less than 5 years before) of Rio Tinto plc and the University of Dundee will not be eligible to apply for these awards.
Method of Scholarship Selection
Please note that there is no separate application form for the Rio Tinto plc Scholarship.
Candidates who are offered unconditional admission to the full-time LLM in Mineral Law and Policy programme should provide a 250-word Personal Statement sent by email attachment to Alison Anderson
The application deadline is 31st May 2016 with successful recipients expected to commence study in September 2016 so please submit all applications by this date
It is important to demonstrate in your Personal Statement that you are motivated to make a career that will take you to a position of leadership in the mining sector in your own country within 10 years of your Scholarship. You must be committed to networking to find global solutions and you should be able to use your studies and experience gained in the UK to benefit yourself, your country and the UK. You should become a first-class ambassador for the UK in your home country. Your Personal Statement should emphasise the following points:
- Your ability to make a difference in the world, illustrated by your leadership qualities
- Your skills in communications and the ability to influence people and decisions
- Your networking ability, ambition and plans for the future
- Your academic background and potential on the LLM degree programme, your strength of character and integrity
- Your outside interests – i.e. hobbies and activities
CEPMLP PhD Research Scholarship
Since 2007 CEPMLP has offered research scholarships to support candidates reading for the degree of PhD. The scholarships are available for three years.
Successful candidates will have access to all the resources of the PhD programme, applications will be welcome in any area of current research interest to the Centre. Applicants should complete an application form for admission as a research student to the University of Dundee indicating on the form that you are applying to CEPMLP as your academic department and indicating on the finance section of the form that you are applying for a CEPMLP scholarship. As part of the application process you will also need to include a 5-10 page summary of your research proposal, covering the research question, relevance, methodology to be applied and originality.
Applicants are expected to hold a good first degree and Masters Degree in a relevant academic discipline(s). Applicants with a background in law, economics, finance and international relations are especially welcome.
All applicants must also send a 250 word personal statement stating your interest in the scholarship and why you feel you are a worthy recipient. This should be sent to Linn McFarlane
Applications must be received by 30th April 2016, and only those who have received unconditional offer by this date will be eligible for consideration. The shortlisted candidates will be interviewed mid May, and the final decision will be made by the 1st June 2016 with the successful candidate(s) expected to take up the scholarship from September 2016.
Application form for admission can be found by clicking here
Any enquiries about the scholarship should be addressed to Linn McFarlane
Colombian PhD Scholarship opportunities together with ICETEX
See more information here
Any enquiries about the scholarship should be addressed to Kathleen Shortt