What is Beyond the Internet?
Beyond the Internet comprises two six week courses in family and local history. They will give you the skills to develop your research and provide more details about how your ancestors lived their lives. They are aimed at those who are interested in expanding their skills and knowledge in a relatively short period of time.
- Are you interested in finding out more about your family or local history?
- Have you looked at some of the online websites, sources and indexes that are available but want to know where to go next?
- Do you want to start using original sources and records but are not sure how to go about this?
- Would you like to know more about the historical context in which your ancestors lived?
The courses are online, easy to use and fully supported. You can do them wherever you live and can log onto the site at whatever time you wish to study. You will work your way through the courses with other students and will be able to discuss the topics on a discussion forum. Your tutor will provide support and guidance throughout.
If you want to go further with your family and local history research and to learn in a supportive, enjoyable and interactive environment, these courses are for you.
All students will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Dundee
- Online fully supported distance learning
- Introductory and advanced courses, each lasting six weeks
- Expert tutors who are professional archivists and experienced genealogists
- A range of exciting records, not just registers and census data
- A discussion forum to exchange views and information
- Online tasks to aid self study and reinforce learning
Beyond the Internet 1:
- Introduction and key records (birth, marriage, death registers and the census)
- Church records
- Wills and testaments
- Poor law records
- Military records
Beyond the Internet 2:
- Civil and criminal courts and police force records
- Education records
- Church court records
- Manorial records and estate papers
- Title deeds, maps and plans
- Emigration, burgesses and apprentices and printed materials
Full details are available in the Course Brochure
When do the courses begin?
- Beyond the Internet part 2 begins on the 13 January 2014, the deadline for signing up is 8 January 2014. (subject to availability).
- Beyond the Internet part 1 begins on the 12 May 2014, the deadline for signing up is 7 May 2014. (subject to availability).
On completion of Beyond the Internet you might be interested in taking your studies further with the Postgraduate Certificate in Family & Local History. More information is available from the CAIS website and from your tutor.
How much does it cost?
| ||Beyond the Internet 1|| £140|
|Beyond the Internet 2|| £140|
|Beyond the Internet 1 & 2|| £260|
For further information contact:
Craig or Daria at email@example.com
or call +44 (0)1382 385543.
Related links: Centre for Archive and Information Studies
| Who Do You Think You Are? - Olympia 2008