The University's Reputation
Dundee University is promoting pure and applied research and scholarship at international levels of excellence.
Here are some of our achievements:
- The School of Life Sciences Research has the highest impact in molecular biology / genetics and biology / biochemistry of all UK universities (Thomson Scientific, 2006)
- Awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize on two ocassions in 'keyhole' surgery and drug discovery and development
- Awarded the Queen's Award for Enterprise 2004 for work at the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy
- The University is home to the UK's first UNESCO Centre of Excellence: the UNESCO Centre for Water Law, Policy and Science
- The University will soon house the UK's first interface science institute, The Institute for Medical Science and Technology
- We are home to Scotland's first interdisciplinary gender research centre
- The University has spun out more than a dozen companies and drives one of the UK's fastest growing life sciences clusters, having quadrupled in size in the past decade
- The University of Dundee runs the largest 'Distance Learning in Scottish History' programme, with courses in medieval and early-modern Scotland
Did You Know?
In addition to all this University of Dundee's Student Union was voted 2nd in the Club Mirror Awards. The University has the most modern and technological gym in Scotland and has some of the best exchange opportunities in Britain with established programmes in Australasia, through the Erasmus programme, and in Hong Kong and wider China.
Dundee is the only university in the UK that teaches English & Scottish Law and is the only University in the whole world offering a course in Forensic Art.
Dundee's reputation draws students from 85 countries worldwide making it a truly international experience. More than this though Dundee University was:
- Voted one of the world's best places for postdoctoral scientists in an international poll by The Scientist magazine (2005)
- Voted best place to work in Europe in an international poll by The Scientist magazine (2004 and 2005)
- Dundee was recently rated top in the world for its research in Pharmacology (Times Higher Education, 2010)
- The University graduates more students into the professions including law, accountancy, architecture, dentistry, education, social work and nursing than any other Scottish university
Some of our top academics include:
- Christopher Whatley (Professor of Scottish History, Vice-Principal and Head of the College of Arts & Social Sciences), who won the Saltire Society's prestigious Scottish Book of the Year (2007) for his book The Scots and the Union.
- Professor Irwin Mclean who discovered the gene responsible for predisposition to eczema (a condition which affects millions of sufferers). It was discovered in 2006 by a group of researchers headed by Professor Irwin McLean at the University of Dundee School of Medicine.
The technology behind LED displays was pioneered by scientists in the University of Dundee School of Engineering.
We try and create a supportive environment and a great place to study
The cost of living in Dundee 14% lower than the national average for students. RBS Index of cost of Living for Students 2007 Dundee is 3rd best in country after Leeds and Brighton.
There are 11 different types of bursaries available to support students.
We have a comprehensive academic skills programme devised by two University of Dundee academics, Dr Kathleen McMillan and Dr Jonathan Weyers authors of the successful Smarter Student series of books and 6 other titles between them in this field.
Our PDP (Personal Development Plan) is a great way to help build self awareness, skills and a fantastic tool for the job market.
Ninewells offers nursing and medical students the experience of working in interdisciplinary medical environment – priceless.
We also have a system called 'Peer Connectors' - friendly helpful students from wide variety of programmes, backgrounds, age groups and experience who are here to help you get the most out of your university experience.