Why should you come to the University of Dundee?
We're an established university with a progressive and dynamic outlook. Never complacent, we constantly strive to build on our achievements: investing in excellent facilities, pushing the boundaries of research and developing new ways of e-learning.
The university was top in Scotland in Times Higher Education (THE) magazine’s 2013 student experience survey. Its students voted it first for good, conveniently-located facilities and in the top three north of the border for accommodation, students’ union and social activities.
Sunday Times University Guide, 2014
We are also one of the world's top 200 universities (Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2010) with much of our research described as 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent', according to the most recent Research Assessment Exercise (2008).
Explore the sections below to find out what the University of Dundee can offer you.
Inspirational teaching across a diverse range of subjects
- We're one of the top ten UK Universities for teaching and learning - Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2010.
- The National Student Survey (2009) showed that our students are highly satisfied with the teaching and learning experience.
- Our flexible module structure enables you to choose your own pathway and combine subjects, and we offer many part-time and distance learning courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- We also offer a comprehensive academic skills programme so that you can brush up on your study skills, develop your critical thinking ability and get the most out of your courses.
- Our IT facilities are amongst the best in the UK and the latest technologies are used to enhance teaching. Almost all of our modules are supported online through 'MyDundee', the University's virtual learning environment, and our staff have won several awards for their e-learning work.
Learn more about our undergraduate courses »
Learn more about our postgraduate courses »
Internationally acclaimed research
- Researchers at Dundee continue to push back boundaries, attracting an average of £85 million of research funding annually.
- Research quality has been assessed as world leading across a broad range of disciplines (including arts, humanities, sciences and law).
- We have been ranked 1st in the UK for the impact of our scientific research (The Guardian and Thomson Scientific Index), with groundbreaking medical research into diabetes, cancer and neuroscience. Our Cancer Centre is the first approved Cancer Research Centre in Scotland.
- We've been named as one of the world's best workplaces in an international poll of scientists (The Scientist, 2010).
- We're committed to ensuring that our research feeds into teaching, so if you come here as an undergraduate you will benefit from interaction with top researchers and new discoveries.
Find out more about our research strengths »
See how well we did in the most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) »
Great future prospects and high employability
- Graduates from the University of Dundee are highly regarded by employers, not only due to the high standard of education they have received, but also because of the wide range of personal and transferable skills that the university environment enables them to develop.
- Dundee graduates command one of the highest starting salaries in the UK - in a national survey, only Oxbridge graduates came out ahead. The average starting salary is £22,328 (source: HESA)
- Degrees include a career planning module and an internship option, and we help every student to create their own PDP (Personal Development Plan) which will help to build self awareness, develop skills and enhance employability.
- Our Dundee Graduate Skills Award, endorsed by employers and professional bodies, recognises the value of the extracurricular activities that you participate in while at Dundee.
- More of our students graduate into the professions (law, accountancy, architecture, dentistry, teaching, social work and nursing) than from any other Scottish university.
- 96% of our graduates are in employment or further study six months after graduation.
Find out more about our Careers service »
Value for money
- Your money goes further here - the cost of living is 14% lower than the UK average, and 2nd best in the whole of the UK (RBS Student Living Index, 2010).
- Dundee has more students per head of population than any other Scottish city. Local employers recognise this and employ students for a variety of part-time positions, so you can earn extra money whilst you study. The Careers Service offer a JobShop and Placement Base, to make it easier for you to find suitable part-time work.
Find out about living costs »
A highly-rated student experience
An aerial view over part of the main University Campus
- For all-round student experience, we've been rated 8th in the UK, and are one of only two universities to feature in the top ten in both categories highlighted in the survey as especially important - teaching and learning, and facilities (Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey, January 2010)
- We take your welfare seriously and offer plenty of support to help you overcome any personal, academic, financial or other problems, through our wide range of student services.
Learn about the range of services on offer »
A friendly and welcoming modern campus
- Evironmentally-friendly measures include the implementation of a green travel plan, challenging recycling targets, and a reduction in energy consumption. Green building initiatives have led to success in the UK's 'Green Gown' awards.
Find out how Dundee is going green »
- Dundee's reputation draws students from 85 countries worldwide, making it a truly international experience.
- We also have some of the best exchange opportunities in the UK, with established programmes in Australasia, in Europe through the Erasmus progamme, in Hong Kong and wider China, and in North America.
Learn more about exchange opportunities »