Frequently Asked Questions

May I apply with a friend?

Yes, each applicant must indicate clearly on their Accommodation Application Form, the name of the person they wish to share with and we will endeavour, but cannot guarantee to match the requests.

I have applied for University Accommodation through 'Clearing', when will I know if I will be offered accommodation?

Clearing is a very busy period for the Residences Office, therefore please be patient whilst we confirm your application. If we are unable to offer you University accommodation we will advise you as soon as possible.

I have a question about the accommodation that I have been offered in regards to the furniture/key collection/facilities within the residence?

Contact Sanctuary Students, for help and advice on 01382 383111 or email

If I am allocated accommodation that is not my first choice, can I change or be offered something else?

Unfortunately due to the allocation process it is simply impractical to create a waiting list for an over-subscribed residence in advance of the session. You may of course decline an Offer of Accommodation but the University is not able to guarantee that a further offer will be made. In some years, the Residence Office has been able to consider transfers between residences and if so, this would become apparent during October (when a 'Transfer List' would be made available).

Do I have to pack up my belongings at Christmas and Easter?

No, your accommodation contract is for the complete academic session.

Where can parents park when they drop their children off at residences?

Over the main arrival weekend (3rd and 4th September 2016) students and parents may park in any of the designated parking bays on campus without a permit. See the Car Parking - Map detailing University car parking.

Can parents pay residence fees for their children?

Parents can make residence fee payments on behalf of the student by one-off payment or by a direct debit instalment plan. Information on paying residence fees by bank transfer, debit/credit card or by instalment can be found in the fee payment guide.

What if I didn't accept my offer by the 'Reply By Date' I was given?

If you decide not to accept your offer within the 'Reply By' period you are given then the offer may be withdrawn and the room offered to another applicant. Please log into your account and Contracts to see if this is the case – if it is still shown as AWAITING RESPONSE then you should accept it immediately and contact us to be sure of securing the place. If your offer is WITHDRAWN and you still require accommodation then you will need to reapply by submitting a new application. Please note that you will no longer be covered by any guarantee of accommodation. If you feel there were exceptional circumstances beyond your control which prevented you from accepting the offer within the given timescale, please let us know by email or telephone as soon as possible and we will review your application. In normal circumstances your re-application will not be considered until all other applicants have been offered a room.

What if I need to arrive earlier or later than the start date of my Residence Agreement?

Once you have accepted an academic session booking, you may, if you wish apply for a separate Early Arrival accommodation contract.  Accommodation is normally available from the Monday preceding the main Arrival Weekend (Monday 29th August 2016). If your term time accommodation is not available, an alternative room can be arranged for the early arrival period. If you plan to arrive later, please remember that fees are payable from the start date given in your Licence Agreement. Please keep the Residences office informed if you intend to arrive late.

I have received my offer of accommodation, but am unsure whether University accommodation will suit my requirements. Should I accept the agreement?

Once you accept the Licence Agreement you have entered into a legally binding contract with the University of Dundee. If you are unsure, please discuss your concerns with the Residences Office. If, once you have accepted your contract, you wish to be released from the contract you will need to find a replacement resident to take over your contract. Please refer to the Licence Agreement and the Cancellation Policy for full terms and conditions.

Can I view the room I have been offered in residences l before I move in?

We regret that students cannot view the room they have been offered before they move in.

How do I secure my accommodation?

You will be advised of the Reply-by Date to accept your accommodation. If you do not accept the booking by this date the accommodation offer may be withdrawn and offered to another accommodation applicant. New undergraduate and postgraduate students will be asked to pay a prepayment of £300 to secure the accommodation booking.

What if my place to study at the University is conditional on exam results?

If your academic offer is withdrawn by the University as a result the conditions of entry not being met, your accommodation place will be cancelled and the prepayment will be returned.

What if I plan to be away when the offer is sent?

We recognise that many people use the summer period to go away on holiday. If you will have access to your email account while you are away then please don’t worry, as notification of your offer will be sent by email and you can view and accept your offer online. If you will not have access to the internet, then it is vital that you let us know as soon as possible, by calling +44 (0) 1382 384040 or by emailing If we are not informed that you will be away and you are not able to act on your offer before its expiry date, the offer may be withdrawn and you may no longer be guaranteed a room.

I have a medical condition. Should I tell anybody?

If you have a medical condition that leads you to have certain requirements for your accommodation, you need to tell us this on your application form. You may also need to provide us with evidence of your condition from your doctor. In some cases it may also be beneficial for you to contact the Disability Service. Please see Disability Services for more information.

My Online application indicates that it is 'Awaiting Allocation', when will I receive a response?

The Allocations Manager is aiming to respond to applications within 15 working days. Our new accommodation system has generated more enquiries and the process is taking a little longer than anticipated but offers and acknowledgements will be issued as soon as possible. We thank applicants for their patience at this busy time.

I have accepted my Online accommodation offer but the offer is still 'Awaiting Response'. What should I do?

At busy times, this can take a short period to update. If it remains unchanged, please retry accepting your booking. Please remember when you are viewing your offer of accommodation, to scroll down the page to the bottom, once you tick the box indicating that you have read and understood the Lease and Code of Conduct the 'accept' button will be available for you to accept. Continue through the pages until you complete the process. When you have successfully completed the process, your booking will indicate ‘Accepted’ on the Contract page.

The £300 Advance Payment should be made via the University Online Store to secure the booking. If you wish to make future payments by monthly instalments, information regarding this will be available at a later date.

I want to pay future residences fees by 8 monthly instalments but I cannot seem to arrange this on the online accommodation service?

It is the University's intention to allow 8 monthly payments (after payment of the £300 Advance Payment/booking fee) via a new Finance Office facility which is still to be finalised. However, it is still possible to pay residence fees by 8 monthly direct debit instalments. Information on this method of payment can be found at fee payment guide.

My academic place is conditional, will I receive my £300 back, should I not obtain the conditions of my academic place?

Yes, the Advance payment will be returned as soon as possible after the Residences Office is informed.

I live in University accommodation but have found a private flat which I prefer, can I vacate University accommodation to move to this private flat?

If you are currently in University Accommodation and vacate your place before the end of your Lease Agreement, you will remain liable for the total residence fees for the period of the Lease. This is a condition which you have accepted.

Finding a suitable and acceptable replacement is the only way in which you can avoid the penalties described above. This must be a student who is not currently resident in University Accommodation. It will not be possible for the Residences Office to permit moves or transfers which will create empty spaces in Accommodation. Obviously you can ease this process by finding a substitute yourself, as it is impossible for the Residences Office to find replacements for all students requesting changes. Please check with the Residences Office that the substitute resident is ‘suitable and acceptable’ before you make any commitment to them or a private landlord.

Do students need a television licence?

When do I need a TV Licence?

It doesn’t matter what channel you choose – it could be terrestrial, cable or satellite. And it doesn’t matter what equipment you use – traditional TV, games console, laptop or mobile phone. You still need to be covered by a licence if you are watching programmes at the same time as they are shown on TV. If you’re found to be using TV without a licence, you may be prosecuted and fined up to £1,000.

This means that if you are watching or recording programmes via the BBC iPlayer at the same time as they are shown on TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. If you are only watching or downloading programmes that have already been broadcast using the iPlayer or other internet services, a licence is not required.

How will anyone know if I don’t have a TV Licence?

TV Licensing’s database lists addresses that don’t have a TV Licence, including university accommodation and enquiry officers do visit unlicensed properties.

If you use television-receiving equipment without a valid TV Licence, you risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000, plus court costs, and you will need to buy a TV Licence if you still need one.  A colour licence costs £145.50.

To find out more about whether you require a licence, contact TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090 or visit the TV Licensing website (    

Skip to top ↑