Scottish University of the Year – again!
We are the Scottish University of the Year in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide for the second year in a row.
We have been hailed for our excellent teaching quality and student experience. Dundee is in the top ten in the UK for both key measures in the Good University Guide analysis.
The Guide notes the strength of research at the University and our economic, social and cultural impact.
We have also seen a sharp rise in our ranking in the Good University Guide’s league table. Dundee has climbed nine places to 28th in the UK rankings.
On the rise
We improved in our position in every major league table this year. In the Times Higher World Top 200 we are the only Scottish institution moving upwards.
Great for graduates
Dundee is one of the top UK universities for graduate employment. 96.2% of Dundee graduates were in work or further study six months after graduation.
We have made the most progress of any university in Scotland on widening access in the last few years.
In the global spotlight
We are one of the world’s top 200 universities, according to Times Higher Education, and in their global Top 20 of young universities.
Dundee proves it is possible to be both an outstanding teaching university and one at the cutting edge in research work.
Alastair McCall, editor of The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide
The University recorded its highest ever scores in the National Student Survey (NSS) this year, placing Dundee inside the UK top ten.
Overall satisfaction among students was 91 per cent. This figure represents our best ever NSS result and led to a seven-place rise in the UK league table, while Dundee University Students’ Association (DUSA) remains the top students’ union in Scotland.
Our most recent rankings
The National Student Survey (NSS) surveys final year undergraduate students each year. It asks them to rate their satisfaction with 22 different aspects of their university learning experience. 82% percent of students in their final year at the University completed the survey.
Dundee is in the UK's top 10
- The University of Dundee has been ranked 8th in the UK for student experience, receiving its highest ever scores in the survey
- The University recorded overall satisfaction of 91 per cent, up on last year and well above the sector average of 86 per cent
- Students ranked us 1st in the UK for Personal Development
- 100% satisfaction recorded by Physics students (top in the UK)
12 more subjects ranked in the top 10 nationally:
- Computing (3rd)
- Dentistry (3rd)
- Design (3rd)
- Fine Art (3rd)
- Others in Creative Art and Design (3rd)
- Maths (5th)
- Nursing (6th)
- Human and Social Geography (7th)
- Architecture (8th)
- Teacher Training (9th)
- Others in Education (10th)
- Philosophy (10th)
The publication, released on 21 July 2016, provides extensive coverage of the 2014/15 DLHE survey. In this survey, the University of Dundee is one of the top UK universities for graduate employment.
The survey, published by the Higher Education Statistics Authority, shows that 96.2% of Dundee graduates were in work or further study six months after graduation, up from 94.5% last year. In analysis of the data carried out by Times Higher Education, only seven large UK institutions scored higher.
The figure for those in work, study or due to start work rises to 96.9%, up from 96.0%, with unemployment among graduates from the University falling from 3.9% to 3.1%. This data relates to first-degree, home-domiciled full time-study graduates who completed their course in 2014/5 and were surveyed six months after the end of their course.
The University of Dundee is ranked among the top 20 most innovative universities in Europe, and first in Scotland, in a new ranking produced by Reuters.
Reuters say their list of Europe's 100 most innovative universities 'identifies the educational institutions that are doing the most to advance science, invent new technologies, and help drive the global economy.'
Dundee is ranked 18th in the list, and is 5th in the UK.
The University of Dundee is among the fastest risers in the 2017 Guardian University Rankings and topped the UK table in forensic science and archaeology.
- Ranked 28th in the UK
- Top in Scotland for Forensic Science & Archaeology
- Top 10 results for Social Work (3rd), Dentistry (4th), Medicine (5th), Fashion & Textiles (7th), Law (8th), Art (9th), Economics (9th) and Physics (9th)
View the full tables on the Guardian University Guide website
- Ranked 16th in the World's Top 100 Universities founded in the last 50 years
- One of 25 UK universities featured and the only UK university in the Top 40
- Ranked top in the UK in both 'Citations' and 'Industry Outcome' measures
View our full news article on our website
View the full tables on the THE 150 Under 50 Rankings website
The Times Higher Education (THE) Student Experience Survey asks current undergraduate students to rate how their university has performed in 21 key areas each year.
The University of Dundee has performed exceedingly well in this survey has been ranked No.2 in Scotland.
The survey, now in its 11th year, is unique in that it looks beyond the usual definition of the student experience – comprised largely of teaching, learning, assessment and feedback – to a broader definition, one created by students themselves that includes those aspects of university life that matter most to them.
As well as being ranked 2nd in Scotland, the University of Dundee was ranked 21st in the UK overall.
- Ranked 123rd in the Top 200 of the rankings.
The University of Dundee has been named among the world's 'most international' universities in a new global list compiled by the leading higher education journal, Times Higher Education.
To compile the new table, THE examined the diversity of a university's student body and the extent to which its academics collaborate with international colleagues, to give a picture of how global an institution really is.
"This ranking is fantastic news and reflects the nature of Dundee as a global institution. We are continuing to expand our international activity, bringing the world to Dundee with students from all parts of the globe, and taking Dundee to the world through a formidable range of academic and business partnerships.
"We teach nurses in Eritrea and Kenya, we train orthodontists in Egypt, we partner a research institute to tackle diabetes in Kuwait, we attract life sciences doctoral students from Brazil, we work with seventeen leading Chinese universities, mainly in science and engineering, in addition to the thousands of students who come here to Dundee every year."
Wendy Alexander, Vice-Principal (International)
"An institution's global outlook is one of the key markers of a prestigious university. The top institutions hire faculty from all over the world, attract students from a global market of top talent and collaborate with leading departments wherever they happen to be based.
It is great news for all the institutions in the list of the most international universities in the world. It is a sign of great potential, competitiveness and dynamism."
Phil Baty, Editor at THE Rankings
- Ranked 180th in the world, 28th in the UK
Dundee rose five places to 180th in the newest edition of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
The 2017 edition of the THE rankings puts the University at 28th place among UK institutions. The league table uses 13 measures of performance, grouped into five pillars - teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income – to rank universities across the globe. Dundee’s high rating is the result of relentless improvement in almost all metrics.
Particularly strong performances were recorded in international outlook, in part due to the percentage of international students attending Dundee, and citations, where the University’s impact is in the top 10 per cent worldwide.
Professor Sir Pete Downes, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Dundee, said, “We are absolutely delighted not only to be named once again as one of the world’s top 200 universities, recognition that institutions across the globe covet, but to continue to climb in the rankings of globally successful universities.”
View the full tables on the Times Higher Education World University Rankings website:
View the full tables on the Times Higher Education website
- Named Scottish University of the Year 2016
"Our success follows a sharp rise in our overall ranking in the Good University Guide’s league table, we have risen eight places to 37th in the UK rankings and to fourth in Scotland. We are now the top university in Scotland under The Times and The Sunday Times analysis of the NSS outcomes for teaching quality, ranking ninth-equal in the UK."
Professor Sir Pete Downes, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Dundee
“The University of Dundee is the epitome of what a good university should be. It provides an outstanding education and university experience for its students, is a key driver in the regional and national economy, and its researchers – particularly in the medical field – are pushing back the boundaries of knowledge and the treatments available to the wider benefit of society.”
Alastair McCall, editor of The Sunday Times Good University Guide
View the full tables on the Times website (Registration required to view pages)
The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) assessed the quality and impact of research submitted by UK universities across all disciplines. The results published in December 2014 will be used by the funding bodies to allocate block-grant research funding to universities from 2015-16.
- Dundee No. 1 University in UK for biological sciences
- Excellent result in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects where the University's quality profile was the highest in Scotland
- 76% of research rated as `world-leading’ or `internationally renowned’
Find out more on our Research website
The International Student Barometer (ISB) examines four main aspects of the university experience – Arrival, Learning, Living and Support, and the University of Dundee regularly ranks highly in a number of key areas, particularly those related to the student experience and student support. This year responses were gathered from students in 183 universities in 16 countries. This includes 54 UK universities, of which seven are Scottish.
- Ranked 1st in Scotland, 7th in the UK and 19th in the whole ISB for overall average satisfaction
- Disability Services, Enquiry Centre, University Clubs/Societies and our Cash Office were all ranked in the in the World’s Top 5
- University Clubs/Societies, English language support and internet access in University accommodation were all ranked Top in the UK
View more details about our ISB Results.
- Ranked 42nd in the UK and 7th in Scotland overall
- 2nd in the UK and Top in Scotland for anatomy & physiology
- 3rd in the UK and Top in Scotland for general engineering
- Top 10 in the UK for civil engineering, dentistry, education, mathematics, medical technology and sports science
- Top 3 in Scotland for civil engineering, education, mathematics, medical technology, medicine and sports science.
View the full tables on the Complete University Guide website.
- Ranked 38th equal in the UK and 6th in Scotland
- Top in Scotland for education, mechanical engineering and medicine.
- Top 3 in Scotland for dentistry (2nd), fashion & textiles (2nd), mathematics (2nd), philosophy (2nd), social work (2nd), architecture (3rd), art (3rd), biosciences (3rd), civil engineering (3rd), design & crafts (3rd), geography & environmental studies (3rd), health professions (3rd) and physics (3rd).
- Top 10 in the UK for medicine (4th=), dentistry (7th), fashion & textiles (7th), mechanical engineering (7th) and mathematics (8th).
- Top 20 in the UK for design & crafts (11th), education (11th=), geography & environmental studies (12th), philosophy (13th), civil engineering (14th), physics (16th) and art (20th).
- Additionally we are ranked 5th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland for our teaching quality and 8th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland for overall course satisfaction (both based on NSS satisfaction scores)
View the full tables on the Guardian University Guide website
- Ranked in the top 1% of world universities
- Ranked in the world's top 100 for Life Sciences and Pharmacy & Pharmacology, and top 150 for Medicine
View the full tables on the QS World University Rankings website
The University of Dundee features in the World's Top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide in the following subjects:
- Ranked in the World's Top 100 for art and design, biological sciences and education
- Ranked in the World's Top 150 for medicine and pharmacy & pharmacology
- Ranked in the World's Top 250 for English language & literature
View the full tables on the QS World University Rankings by Subject website
The Global Health Research League Table (GHRLT) independently measures the commitment of the UK’s top 25 funded universities to global health research, supporting universities, researchers and students to ensure research meets the needs of people worldwide.
- The University of Dundee is ranked 7th in UK for our impact on global health
Read the full article on our News website
Find out more about the Global Health Research League Table
The CWTS Leiden Ranking 2015 measures the scientific performance of 750 major universities in 49 different countries worldwide. Using a sophisticated set of bibliometric indicators, the ranking aims to provide highly accurate measurements of the scientific impact of universities and of universities’ involvement in scientific collaboration.
- We are ranked 54th in the world, 10th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland for scientific impact for all sciences
- Biomedical and health sciences is ranked in the World's Top 25 (23rd) and 6th in the UK
- Life Sciences and earth sciences is ranked in the World's Top 100 (57th) and 14th in the UK
- Social sciences and humanities is ranked in the World's Top 300 (270th) and 37th in the UK
View the full tables on the Leiden Ranking website