Nobel Prize winning poet and honorary graduate Seamus Heaney described the University of Dundee as:
"having its head in the clouds and its feet firmly on the ground."
The University's distinctive character comes from our ability to be both aspirational and down-to-earth. We are able to blend ground-breaking intellectual achievement with practical applications.
The University has seen many changes since it became an independent institution in 1967. This independence followed a 70 year relationship with the University of St Andrews, but our fundamental aim remains.
We have restated this aim in our Transformation Vision. It's what we do today and it's what we have always done. That is to:
"transform lives locally and globally through the creation, sharing and application of knowledge."
Today we reflect this aim in many ways:
- excelling in teaching and research;
- contributing to the social, economic and cultural life of Scotland and the wider world;
- shaping the future by solving important real-world problems.
We aim to become Scotland's leading University. We want to be the best at what we do in what we choose to do, and be recognised internationally for the quality of our graduates and the impact of our research.
We are driven by the desire to solve substantial challenges, and will focus our efforts on three areas:
- Using global resources in a sustainable way
- Innovating through design
- Improving health and wellbeing
We will work across subject boundaries; bringing expertise and different viewpoints. This will enable us to approach issues in new, challenging and productive ways. We equip our staff and our students with the means to create real-world impact, help solve global problems and transform lives.
- Campus Shops: Location and list of shops available on campus see Campus Map.
- Chaplaincy: The chapel, coffee bar and lounge are available for use for functions, events, exhibitions, parties, conferences, seminars and lunchtime concerts.
- Conference & Meeting Facilities: Facilities available for hire including a conference centre, training complexes, seminar rooms, foyers, and theatres.
- DNA Sequencing Services - see The Sequencing Service, School of Life Sciences
- (available for internal students and staff only).
- IT Suites and IT Facilities (available for internal student and staff use only).
- Library & Learning Centre: The LLC has six principal sites and 24/7 access to academic e-resources and the virtual learning environment. Students, staff and external members are welcome to use the LLC's services.
- Sports Facilities: The Institute for Sport and Exercise offers facilities for hire for sporting and other events e.g. company sports day; seminars; quad training sessions. Corporate membership packages are also available.
- Video Conferencing Facilities.