Nobel Prize winning poet and honorary graduate Seamus Heaney has described the University of Dundee as
"having its head in the clouds and its feet firmly on the ground."
The ability to be both aspirational and down-to earth, to blend ground-breaking intellectual achievement with practical applications, has given the University its distinctive character.
There have been many changes since the University became an independent institution in 1967 following a 70 year relationship with the University of St Andrews but the fundamental aim remains.
The aim has been rearticulated in our Transformation Vision. It’s what we do today and it’s what we have always done. It is to:
"transform lives locally & globally through the creation, sharing and application of knowledge."
Today this aim translates as excellence in teaching and research and contributing to the social, economic and cultural life of Scotland and the wider world. We will continue to focus the University as it powers forward to become Scotland’s leading university with excellence in teaching, research and the wider impact of both these key areas of activity.
To help us complete the first stage of this journey we need a route map covering the five years to 2017. The University Strategy to 2017 fulfils this requirement.
- Campus Shops: Location and list of shops available on campus see Campus Map.
- Chaplaincy: The chapel, coffee bar and lounge are available for use for functions, events, exhibitions, parties, conferences, seminars and lunchtime concerts.
- Conference & Meeting Facilities: Facilities available for hire including a conference centre, training complexes, seminar rooms, foyers, and theatres. See also Residential Accommodation.
- DNA Sequencing Services - see The Sequencing Service, School of Life Sciences
- (available for internal students and staff only).
- IT Suites and IT Facilities (available for internal student and staff use only).
- Library & Learning Centre: The LLC has six principal sites and 24/7 access to academic e-resources and the virtual learning environment. Students, staff and external members are welcome to use the LLC's services.
- Residential Accommodation: Residential accommodation is available during Spring & Summer vacations, including West Park Villas, built with special attention made to guest comfort, quietness and security.
- Sports Facilities: The Institute for Sport and Exercise offers facilities for hire for sporting and other events eg. company sports day; seminars; quad training sessions. Corporate membership packages are also available.
- Video Conferencing Facilities.